Chicken Breed Focus - Australorp

Australorp photo dump!!

MrsB

Last edited:
Well, I've had some difficulties with my inherited Australorp - but perhaps because I didn't raise her from chick - or that she's my only in the flock? She is aloof and regal. I call her Regina (or Maleficent). She is a bully and has spent some time in chicken jail; but since others have had such great luck with this breed - I may raise more later on - maybe in pairs? She is big, gorgeous, healthy and a great layer.

Well, I've had some difficulties with my inherited Australorp - but perhaps because I didn't raise her from chick - or that she's my only in the flock? She is aloof and regal. I call her Regina (or Maleficent). She is a bully and has spent some time in chicken jail; but since others have had such great luck with this breed - I may raise more later on - maybe in pairs? She is big, gorgeous, healthy and a great layer.
Oh I am so sorry! Every breed has an occasional misfit. But generally this breed is very docile. I have a BA hen that was a bit aggressive as a young bird and she did spend some time in pinless peepers. She has improved with age. This is common in hatchery stock. Sometimes any bird can have a loose screw!

Good luck with raising more in the future. I am sure you will not be sorry as most birds of this breed are super friendly and gentle.

Absolutely LOVE the breed. I totally need more of them in the flock. Supreme on the calmness and quietness. Mine love it when they see me with a shovel. I can hardly get the shovel in the ground with them standing as close as they can to be the first one for the goodies.
thumbsup.gif

Hot summer day snack time. Kanga in the back decide she had had enough.

Kanga and a bantam cochin hanging out together. Mine are super good with the bantams, cannot say that about all the other breeds though.

Aussies (chickens) & Aussies (dogs) how perfect is that! I got my first Aussie chicks this year, at 4wks they are all still skidish. I'm working on that. The Aussies (dogs) don't mind them. ;)

My Australorp Shepherds (Bear Whiskerfish and Moose Possumlips) doing what they do best.... relentlessly and vigilantly guarding the safety of this household!

Yeah, right. :p

I am *loving* all these fantastic Australorp pictures!!! :D

MrsB

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom