Chicken Breed Focus - Australorp

Pics
We picked up 3 BAs & 1 JG as day olds but now we don't know who's who. We lost one of the 4 to a dog and suspect it was the JG, but it's so hard to tell them apart!

We picked up 3 BAs & 1 JG as day olds but now we don't know who's who. We lost one of the 4 to a dog and suspect it was the JG, but it's so hard to tell them apart!
I'm sorry about your loss to the dog. Look at the bottoms of your chickens' feet. If they are an obvious yellow, it's a JG. If they are any other color (whitish, pinkish, grayish), it's a BA.

Thank you! I had checked their feet when I still had all 4, but they all looked white to me. Looking at other JG pics, it seems like the yellow is pretty obvious early on so maybe we had all Australorps to begin with. That's okay. They're awesome little ladies. :)

When they're snuggled in like that they sure look like roosters! How old were they when their combs and wattles really started becoming big and red like that? Mine are about three months, give or take, but only the rooster's comb and wattles have really "popped" so far.

When they're snuggled in like that they sure look like roosters! How old were they when their combs and wattles really started becoming big and red like that? Mine are about three months, give or take, but only the rooster's comb and wattles have really "popped" so far.
Aussie hens don't start laying till at least 6 months of age. So the combs, faces and wattles won't really redden up until sometime in the 5th month. You still have a couple of months to go yet before you get eggs.

I know it seems like a long time! But it is good that they mature up a long time before laying. Early layers can have all kinds of laying issues, where as Aussies have much less trouble maturing up longer.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom