Chicken Breed Focus - Bielefelder

Pics
@crawford-3546 ,

How old is he? He not only doesn't look full bodied, (more narrow) it appears he has more "rust" colored feathers than usual. I'm beginning to think he's more Rhodebar or some sort of Rhode Island Red / Barred Rock mix.

I had a wonderful experience with my Biele boy, but then he up & died one night. (Perhaps heart attack due to the extreme heat) I still miss him.
My wonderful Bielefelder roo Ben died suddenly two weeks ago.
hit.gif
He had been a bit off colour for a week or so, but I thought it was maybe just because he was moulting. I took him to the vet for a necropsy, and she told me that he had a heart defect. She said it is more common in large birds (and he was a BIG Bielefelder roo), as they grow quickly in adolescence and sometimes the heart just can't keep up with them.

He is half Biel and half Comet(sexlink). He hatched in March.
Although I just lost Ben, I still have Benson (as in 'Son of Ben'
wink.png
- renamed last week in tribute to his dad!) He is also a half Bielefelder half red sexlink, and he seems to have inherited most of his dad's gentle personality. He is also less timid (probably because he hatched here so I have been able to handle him since day one). He has just started crowing, and even has the raspy crow that Ben had. He is still young (only about 5 months old), so I don't know if he will end up as big as a Bielefelder - I am hoping that he will be a bit smaller.
fl.gif

Can definitely tell he came from the red sexlink. I believe mine is from the gold. They are very pretty birds. Mine is definitely going to be as big as my first Biel. He's already bigger than my Biel roo that I have now.

Hello all!
Got into these birds last year. Love the look and docileness of the rooster. The hens are sweet and camouflaged well.
Maybe one of you can answer a question I've asked but never gotten an answer to: My hen has a single spur. Is this a genetic problem or does this breed's hens normally have a spur or two?
Thanks!
p.s. My rooster is pictured in my avi...

Hello all!
Got into these birds last year. Love the look and docileness of the rooster. The hens are sweet and camouflaged well.
Maybe one of you can answer a question I've asked but never gotten an answer to: My hen has a single spur. Is this a genetic problem or does this breed's hens normally have a spur or two?
Thanks!
p.s. My rooster is pictured in my avi...

Hello there! I don't know if this is a defect, but I have one or two girls that have spurs as well, out of 6 hens.

Back
Top Bottom