Chicken Breed Focus - Blue Andalusian

Had two of these, an absolutely gorgeous cockerel, and a hen. The cockerel was actually our "free rare chick" from Murray McMurray hatchery when we ordered our meat bird/layer combo. He developed quickly, feathered out just as fast as the hen did. The roo was head of the flock, and sadly, one day, while doing his duty of protecting the flock, was taken by a young Goshawk. Still have the hen, the coloration is lovely, and I REALLY REALLY want another roo
This was my cockerel, Hanz.

and below, my hen Franz, she was still a pullet at the time of the pic.

Had two of these, an absolutely gorgeous cockerel, and a hen. The cockerel was actually our "free rare chick" from Murray McMurray hatchery when we ordered our meat bird/layer combo. He developed quickly, feathered out just as fast as the hen did. The roo was head of the flock, and sadly, one day, while doing his duty of protecting the flock, was taken by a young Goshawk. Still have the hen, the coloration is lovely, and I REALLY REALLY want another roo
This was my cockerel, Hanz.

and below, my hen Franz, she was still a pullet at the time of the pic.

How sad you lost Hanz. He was a very handsome rooster. Franz is gorgeous!

Hello,Yes Andalusians are a flighty bird as most Mediterranean breed .They are very talkative also. I no longer have them but instead I have light brown leghorn bantams and White Faced Black Spanish Bantams.Both breeds are of the Mediterranean class very similar in temperament .They can be confined but in a chicken tractor that gives them new forage a couple times a week.Blues are interesting birds for sure( good egg layers also). thanks guys :)

I currently have 12 hens and 1 rooster.

They're kept in a 16x24 run and get along through the winter months well. Like all chickens they love good food. They greet me at the gate every afternoon for chores. I wouldn't consider any of them loud or truly chatty. My SS hens come to mind at winning that title. My rooster crows often, early and late. Much more tolerant than his sire. During the warm months I allow my birds to free range. They do excel at this and spend their nights in my forsythia and lilac bushes. Egg laying is excellent. They gave me 12 eggs today. Most are younger hens and the eggs are coming at 2oz right now.

I do not have the "best" birds by far, but I'm working at it. Some of My 3rd generation is in the incubator now.

Personally I prefer them in black.

I found this most in 2 of my black hens. It made me seriously consider culling them. But then I procrastinated and weeks past my other hens of the same age, these gorgeous red combs started to appear. I'm glad I didn't cull them now. I needed them to get my program going, then I can cull heavy.

I currently have 12 hens and 1 rooster.

They're kept in a 16x24 run and get along through the winter months well. Like all chickens they love good food. They greet me at the gate every afternoon for chores. I wouldn't consider any of them loud or truly chatty. My SS hens come to mind at winning that title. My rooster crows often, early and late. Much more tolerant than his sire. During the warm months I allow my birds to free range. They do excel at this and spend their nights in my forsythia and lilac bushes. Egg laying is excellent. They gave me 12 eggs today. Most are younger hens and the eggs are coming at 2oz right now.

I do not have the "best" birds by far, but I'm working at it. Some of My 3rd generation is in the incubator now.

Personally I prefer them in black.

Wow! I cant believe your getting a 100% lay rate! What age are your birds?

Back
Top Bottom