Chicken Breed Focus - Brahma

That's too bad. He is handsome! You could sell him on craigslist for $25 and go buy yourself a steak dinner ;) :p
I tried no one wants him and he’s almost of age and I just don’t have enough girls to go around lol I value my girls hahaha. in my house any unwanted boys go to the freezer which is why I ordered pullets hahaha hes Not sweet either....he’s so mean....bites at any chance he can get and not just a nip...it hurts! I would hate to rehire him...or keep him with my kids around. He’s so ornery and you can’t get near his mate either (she’s sweet) he’s always right beside her ready to bite!

To answer the original post. I have one Brahma. I actually did not want any birds with feathered feet, but when my husband went to pick up my chick order, he asked the feed store lady to pick out a chick he could name Buttercup. Well, she is very special. My birds are strictly pets, and she is a sweetheart. She’s docile, easily handled, etc. She does seem to pick on the pullets more than anyone else does, but I love her!
19F45025-0AD0-4A7C-B09A-9D3E593262BD.jpeg

I tried no one wants him and he’s almost of age and I just don’t have enough girls to go around lol I value my girls hahaha. in my house any unwanted boys go to the freezer which is why I ordered pullets hahaha hes Not sweet either....he’s so mean....bites at any chance he can get and not just a nip...it hurts! I would hate to rehire him...or keep him with my kids around. He’s so ornery and you can’t get near his mate either (she’s sweet) he’s always right beside her ready to bite!
Oh oops, freezer camp is absolutely understandable.
So cute he is guarantee to be bad, Apparently my m.o. and story of my life.... I fall for the "bad boys", every time. I obviously can spot them 6,000 miles away. :barnie ... when will I learn...?!!
:rolleyes: ;) :lol:

To answer the original post. I have one Brahma. I actually did not want any birds with feathered feet, but when my husband went to pick up my chick order, he asked the feed store lady to pick out a chick he could name Buttercup. Well, she is very special. My birds are strictly pets, and she is a sweetheart. She’s docile, easily handled, etc. She does seem to pick on the pullets more than anyone else does, but I love her!
View attachment 2033493
Great feet :love I think your DH did very well. Buttercup is wonderful! :D

There has been considerable controversy over the true origins of the Brahma breed, but appears to have developed in the US originally, from birds imported from China. They were send off from the port of Shanghai and were thus known as "Shanghai birds". Brahmas as we know them were first exported to England in December 1852, when George Burnham sent nine "Gray Shanghaes" to Queen Victoria as a gift. The Dark Brahma variety was developed by English breeders from this stock and later exported to the United States, where the Brahma was the principal meat bird from the 1850's to around 1930. Some of these birds were very big, with males weighing in at up to 18 lb and females at 13 lb.
The Light and Dark Brahma were developed and included in the first edition of the American Poultry Association's Standard of Perfection in 1874 and the Buff variety was added in 1924. The Australian Poultry Association has accepted black, blue, partridge, crele and barred varieties of Brahma in addition to the standard light, dark, and buff.

Details:
Breed Purpose: Dual purpose
Comb: Pea
Broodiness: Average
Climate Tolerance: All climates
Egg Productivity: Average
Egg size: Large
Egg Colour: Light brown
Breed Temperament: Friendly, easily handled, calm, bears confinement well, docile

(Some) Breed Colours/Varieties: Light, Buff, Dark, Gold, Black, White, Blue and Blue Columbian (Breeders, please reply to thread with more)
APA/ABA Class: Asiatic

Rooster pic by @Sjisty

Hen pic by @Missi

Chicks pic by @NestingHillsSC

Pic by @bumpercarr

Pic by @Tim63

Breed reviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/brahma

Breed discussion threads:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/873000/brahma-breeders-thread/0_30
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/734972/backyard-brahmas/0_30

Do you own Brahmas? Are you a Brahma breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!
I have 2 ligh Brahmas. Hem a roo. And I love them!!! They are so sweet. When my polish rooster runs at my 3 year old she yells “MooMoo save me!” And my Brahma roo comes running!!! I got them because I am a feathered foot lover & living in Jersey they are great for the colder weather.
095043C6-4AAD-4BEB-8F58-B80574F6FBE3.jpeg

6 more brahmas for me...through 4h group...so I grabbed 2 light 2 dark and I believe 2 buff :) the one I’m holding is lookin like not a pullet at 2 weeks everyone has tail feathers and beautiful wings.....this one not so much just tiny wing feathers lol sad bc this was so friendly...loves to be held. The pics are the day we got them

Attachments

• 1DB2C28F-BE48-4CE9-9DD3-29FD48A246BB.jpeg
    1DB2C28F-BE48-4CE9-9DD3-29FD48A246BB.jpeg
    358.2 KB · Views: 8
  • EFA673E8-FAF8-4233-8D2E-9CB77C5F5F91.jpeg
    EFA673E8-FAF8-4233-8D2E-9CB77C5F5F91.jpeg
    452.6 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom