Chicken Breed Focus - Brahma

Sumi that's a really nice Article you wrote on Brahmas! I thoroughly enjoyed it! We don't have any of that breed but I like to keep abreast of what's available out there and their characteristics for when and if we decide to increase our flock size once we know if we have a cockerel we might need to add a few pullets. Thanks!

I was really looking forward to my Light Brahmas, but sadly neither of them survived shipping and I have not been able to find any locally. So bummed.
I got a Light Brahma yesterday in Olympia at Eastside Urban Farm and Garden. IDK if they still have some, but they get chicks on Fridays and they told me they would do orders, so you could try there.

I got a Light Brahma yesterday in Olympia at Eastside Urban Farm and Garden. IDK if they still have some, but they get chicks on Fridays and they told me they would do orders, so you could try there.
Thank you! I did find a place in Monroe, but it is an hour and a half from us so I may look up Eastside first.

We just called and they still have some and they are right around the same age as the chicks we have now! We are heading there now to pick them up. I am so happy. Thank you!!

We just called and they still have some and they are right around the same age as the chicks we have now! We are heading there now to pick them up. I am so happy. Thank you!!
Yay! I just found out about this place yesterday and went by on a whim. Ended up leaving with two new babies, and I will be back on Friday for some Easter Eggers. :D

I wound up with brahmas for my first flock purely by accident. I had been exploring craigslist and found a free flock of 3 yr old brahmas that I snatched right up after I did some quick research. There were three dark hens, one buff hen, and two light roos. As soon as I saw them up close, I fell in love. They are some of the most gorgeous birds I ever saw.
My sister made fun cause they have such deep voices for chickens; she calls them my troll birds, lol.
Sadly of my first flock, only one of the roos and two of the dark girls are left. This year, we bought a light and a light dark hen to add to the flock. They seem to be much more ornery and bossy than my dark girls. They also came with a light cockerel that used to be pretty submissive until he 'hit puberty' and started trying to throw his weight around. Raph, my old boy, puts him in his place every time.
Oh, I also wound up getting another free flock this year which wound up being three RIR hens, five of what I think may be Isa reds, and a surprisingly beautiful buff brahma roo. The poor guy had been picked raw under his tail plumes and had no feathers on his feet anymore. Needless to say, we had to separate him from Raph and Mikey (my light cockerel) until he'd recovered. He now crows and faces off through the fence at Raph.
The interesting thing I've noticed about my brahmas though is that it seems only my boys sing. I only hear the girls sing rarely and never my dark girls.

900x900px-LL-93e7baed_001.jpeg
This is Lizzie she will be 6yrs old in Sept. hasn't laid an egg in a couple yrs [menopause I guess] but still loves to go into a nest and sit on someone elses egg then get up and brag about it.
She lived in the house for close to 3 weeks a couple Jan ago when she had bumble on both feet. Couldn't ask for a better house chicken and she got along great with the dogs.

Update:

Mag the Mighty is feeling manlier every day. His crow now happens a few times any given morning and has more than one syllable. It's still lower and quieter than everyone else's.

The weirdest things is that he seems to be courting me and sometimes pecks my legs and wrists while I'm in the yard. So far, I've been turning him upside down when he doews it, and he'll give me goofy looks for my trouble. Ah, hormones...

Back
Top Bottom