Chicken Breed Focus - Dutch Bantam

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sumi, Oct 22, 2015.

1. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    The Dutch Bantam, as its name implies originated in Holland. The first mention of the Dutch Bantam as a breed is in a Hague zoo record from 1882, and the first Dutch Bantam club was founded in 1906 in Holland. There were various landraces of bantams found in the Netherlands for hundreds of years similar to the current Dutch Bantam, and the originating stock for those birds is thought to be birds that sailors brought back from the Dutch East Indies.

Dutch bantams were first imported into the US in the 1940’s, but these birds disappeared and it wasn’t until the breed was imported again in the 1970’s that they became popular, especially as a show bird. They were recognized by the APA in 1992. They are found in dozens of colors, especially in the Netherlands, in the US the most popular color is probably Light Brown.

One of the smallest breeds of bantam, they are also one of the true bantams (not found in a standard size). As a very small, quite friendly bird, Dutch Bantams are a good choice for the urban chicken keeper looking for a small productive breed that also makes good pets. For bantams, the hens are exceptionally good layers, and stories have it that the Dutch Bantam was historically so popular in the Netherlands because it laid such an abundance of small white eggs which could be kept by the farmer, who was required to turn over large eggs to their landowner. The hens do go broody on occasion and will make good mothers, they are so small though that they can not cover many eggs. They are very good flyers and can be flighty, especially when young. They are good foragers but their small size and single comb does make them susceptible to very cold weather.

Details:

Breed purpose: Ornamental, Egg layer.
    Comb Type: Single
    Broodiness: Frequent, good mothers.
    Climate Tolerance: Fair.
    Weight: 21oz Roosters, 19oz Hens
    Egg Productivity: Good, 160 eggs/year
    Egg Size: Small
    Egg Color: White/Tinted

BYC Breed reviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/dutch

General breed discussions & FAQ thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/271645/dutch-bantams-breed-thread

[​IMG]
    Dutch Bantam Rooster picture by @pdbantam

[​IMG]
    Dutch Bantam Flock picture by @BDutch

[​IMG]
    Dutch Bantam Flock picture @Henk69

[​IMG]
    Dutch Bantam Hen picture @JeanR

[​IMG]
    Dutch Bantam Rooster picture @Matt A NC

Do you own Dutch Bantams? Are you a Dutch Bantam breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
    · Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
    · What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
    · Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    What beautiful hens and roos! Thanks for another breed focus thread, I'm enjoying them. [​IMG]

3. rachelsflock

rachelsflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2015
    Detroit Metro Area
    Aw, now I want one. :)

4. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    That's the problem with the breed focus threads...so far I've wanted almost every one they have highlighted, lol.

5. wornoutmomto3

wornoutmomto3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop

6. violetlily

violetlily Just Hatched

May 25, 2012
    I have a dutch bantam I rescued it and a male from our local dog shelter (long story) the male died, I think because they were left outside too long by the mean people that owned them first. The hen is lovely her name is Pearl I have never know what she was until I saw the pic on your thread. She is a great adoptive mama hen to full size chicks. She is so very sweet I wish I could breed her. what a lovey she is. thank you for filling in her heritage.

1 person likes this.
  7. rachelsflock

rachelsflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2015
    Detroit Metro Area
    Lol!

8. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    Your birds are so gorgeous! :love

Dutch bantams are my FAVORITE breed! They're so awesome. My girl Penny is raising her first clutch of babies and is the most insanely protective momma I've ever had. She also is constantly warming them, 9 times out of 10 if you see her in the yard she's sitting down, puffed out over her babes.
    [​IMG]

9. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Pretty hen @chippysmom327 ! How many babies is Penny taking care of?

10. DGO26

DGO26 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2015
    Indianapolis in
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by