Chicken Breed Focus - Jersey Giant

Some of my white Jersey Giant chicks.

Yes. But don't let males mount small hens. They can do bodily damage to their heads when trying to hold it down during mounting.

Except for the hens I got yesterday, all the hens were small compared to him. He did do some damage to the hen that I got with him. He clawed up her back pretty good. I put a chicken saddle on her. He hasn't hurt her head though.

This is Titan my Blue Splash Jersey Giant. Counting his comb he is 27.5" tall. He is a little over a year old. That is a a regular Jersey Giant hen beside him that I got from someone they had for sell off of Craigslist for comparison to size.

I LOVE your nest boxes. JG's need a BIG nest and barely fit in the 12" by 12" stand nests that come with pre-fab coops.

I keep chickens because they're too cute and great pets! I chose my Jersey Giant because I live in CT and they are cold hardy birds. My Bertha is by far the most social of the group. She also see's me as the momma hen - she loves perching on my shoulder and snuggling at night. Yes, I bring my three chicks into bed every night for snuggle time. This is Bertha.

i have two jerseys in my flock and they are really great birds. one of them just laid her first egg yesterday! it was a nice big brown one. they are a little skittish but i don't think we held them enough as babies, as for their size they are a month and a half younger than the rest of my flock and already noticeably larger than the rest! they will come and eat out of my hand and are very curious. my two are not very vocal aside from the occasional chirps and clucks though i did hear the egg song from one after she laid her egg. overall a great breed and whether you've had chickens for a number of years or are just starting your flock i definitely recommend them.
thumbsup.gif

I bought three hatchery black JG's and just love how they will jump up on my hand when I am changing food and water. Very friendly and not skittish like the other breeds I bought. They are only 5 weeks old and probably won't be as big as they should be due to being hatchery chicks but I love them any way and would love to have more!

Back
Top Bottom