Chicken Breed Focus - Plymouth Rock

Pics
I am new to the PBR, but I love their beautiful markings. I just added one to my flock of hatchlings for the pizzazz she will bring. She is so calm right now and loves to snuggle in my daughter's hair. We are calling her Pebbles. Trying to upload a pic but it's not working on my phone. :-(

I am new to the PBR, but I love their beautiful markings. I just added one to my flock of hatchlings for the pizzazz she will bring. She is so calm right now and loves to snuggle in my daughter's hair. We are calling her Pebbles. Trying to upload a pic but it's not working on my phone. :-(
You may need to download a BYC app if you have a certain phone. Stop by the mobile feedback section of the forums. Check out the stickies or articles at the top of the page. You can also ask questions on how to upload pics with your particular phone...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16183/mobile-feedback

"What made you decide to get this breed?"
Plymouth Rocks, specifically Barred, were always a part of our flock. Just as others have stated, I have always liked the breed for their calm, gentle dispositions. Because of their disposition, this was the only breed of rooster we ever kept around and the Plymouth Rock hens always stuck around the longest in our flock. I also liked them for their egg laying abilities and the meat that they produced. This breed is also a great forager. To me, the Plymouth Rock is the perfect breed. In the past I have been interested in other breeds, but I always came back to the Rocks. They seem to have all the qualities I am looking for in a chicken. The Barred variety is what we always had in the past. This past spring I bought some Colombian chicks and really like the way they are turning out. Columbian Rocks interested me because of their rarity. You see a lot of Barred and White Rocks but not many of the other color varieties. Even though the Columbian pattern is different from the Barred, they still have that same Plymouth rock disposition. They're always under foot. You really have to watch your step around them. This breeds history and the impact they've had here in the U.S. is also what drew me in to Plymouth Rocks.

"Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?"

Right now my Columbians are for fun, eggs, and meat. However I am interested in breeding some day.

"What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?"

They're just a good all around bird. Good laying abilities, good meat production, good foraging abilities, and good dispositions.

"Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!"

Seeing lots of Barred birds on here, they're definitely the most popular variety. Heres some Columbians, they're around eight weeks old now. First, is a picture of them as chicks and the others were taken yesterday.

Nice looking birds!

Awww, she sounds adorable. I have a Rhode Island Red hen named Pebbles. LOL :lol:

Do you own Plymouth Rocks? Are you a Plymouth Rock breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed? I wanted to start raising a heritage breeds to help with conservation as well as keeping the breed true to standard. It is also a great learning experience because you meet others who have the same interest in breed preservation and the knowledge that is passed along is incredible!
· Do you own them for fun? Definitely!! :) Breeding? Yes Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed? How sweet they are... My roo is so affectionate and doting! They are also so curious and want to help with everything!
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

I am hoping to add a couple more hens in the next few weeks. My BPRs are three years old.

I currently have 5 PBRs (no - not the beer!
wink.png
). I got them from Cackle Hatchery and recommend them highly.

My path to my current 8 chickens has been eventful and a bit frustrating. First, I bought 2 Buff Orpingtons and two Black Australorps. I loved all four with the BOs being my favorite. I made the mistake of letting them free range inside my 10 acre area with a chain link fence. One day they all failed to ever show up again.
hit.gif

So after recovering emotionally, I bought 8 English Blue Orpingtons from a member. They were about a week old when I picked them up. They grew up and turned out to be 7 roos and one hen!!!

So I re-homed 6 of the roos. Now the last roo is proving to be aggressive and has attacked/flogged me three times. He is a beautiful bird but is going soon.

The last blue Orp, the lone hen, has proven to be a sweetie and a real chow hound. She's a keeper.

Anyway, I had to order 15 PBRs to meet the minimum order. I had zero problem re-homing the 11 I really didn't want. My selection process was to sit in the pen and offer mealworms. The ones that perched on my arms, shoulder and head to get treats got banded and stayed!

I have to say I really love my PBRs. None of the other chickens I have had ever proved to be anywhere close to as friendly. All five of them want attention and if I dare to bend down, within seconds three of them will fly up and perch on me. Two love to be held and petted and will just sit there and make cooing noises as long as I pet them.

Right now they are 15 weeks old.

I think all of my future chickens will be PBRs!
thumbsup.gif

Guess mine know they are also a "meat" bird...but at ten weeks, sort of on the scrawny side...always pointing out that the ROOSTER is much bigger....look at those drumsticks....

Back
Top Bottom