Chicken Breed Focus - Plymouth Rock

Pics
I don't have goats, but that's the best description of my own barred rocks I've seen: "their curiosity is rivaled only by thier appetites".

We had Plymouth Rocks when I was growing up and I think they earned a special place in my heart. I always thought they were so sweet and beautiful. I have 3 of them now in my flock and they all pal around together - hoodlums in little feather coats! They ARE always underfoot - just like other people here have posted. If there is food within a mile, they will have front row seats. I open the sliding glass door and they stroll right in like they own the place. Such entertainers too. I have seven different breeds of hens and the Plymouth Rocks are the only ones who ride the goats. I think they warm their feet that way, and maybe it's the lazy way to get across the pasture. Their curiosity is rivaled only by their appetites.

Great camera work!  I can't get mine to hold still long enough to get the shot.  Of course, mine aren't 2 months old yet.  I'm curious, what is the brown bird with the black head?

The chicken that you refer to (here name is "Schnitzi"from the word schnitzel) is my oldest hen(4.5 years old) and still having from her 6 eggs a week! She is a mix breed that we call it in Israel "Baladi" the word comes from the Arabic word Balad which means a village in the countryside. This mix breed was the most common breed in the villages here in the past, before the independence of Israel. It is very prolific mix breed and the most suitable for our climate. I think that she have some Barevelder blood in it!

When do Barred Rock hens reach maturity? I've read they get up about six pounds, my ten week old hens aren't even much over a pound yet. The rooster is...but the hens seem on the skinny side. Thanks.

Is my bird really a Mabel or do I need to rename it Mel? 7~8 weeks.

"What made you decide to get this breed?"
Plymouth Rocks, specifically Barred, were always a part of our flock. Just as others have stated, I have always liked the breed for their calm, gentle dispositions. Because of their disposition, this was the only breed of rooster we ever kept around and the Plymouth Rock hens always stuck around the longest in our flock. I also liked them for their egg laying abilities and the meat that they produced. This breed is also a great forager. To me, the Plymouth Rock is the perfect breed. In the past I have been interested in other breeds, but I always came back to the Rocks. They seem to have all the qualities I am looking for in a chicken. The Barred variety is what we always had in the past. This past spring I bought some Colombian chicks and really like the way they are turning out. Columbian Rocks interested me because of their rarity. You see a lot of Barred and White Rocks but not many of the other color varieties. Even though the Columbian pattern is different from the Barred, they still have that same Plymouth rock disposition. They're always under foot. You really have to watch your step around them. This breeds history and the impact they've had here in the U.S. is also what drew me in to Plymouth Rocks.

"Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?"

Right now my Columbians are for fun, eggs, and meat. However I am interested in breeding some day.

"What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?"

They're just a good all around bird. Good laying abilities, good meat production, good foraging abilities, and good dispositions.

"Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!"

Seeing lots of Barred birds on here, they're definitely the most popular variety. Heres some Columbians, they're around eight weeks old now. First, is a picture of them as chicks and the others were taken yesterday.

Plymouth Rocks are A great Heritage bird. I'm breeding my birds to the APA standard. I don't sell hatching eggs or my birds their for my enjoyment. They provide meat and eggs for my wife and myself. I do have one lap chicken she will die here of old age. Only the best each year get to stay. I keep two roosters twelve females threw the winter. My Plymouth Rocks provide me enjoyment and entertainment. Dennis

When do Barred Rock hens reach maturity? I've read they get up about six pounds, my ten week old hens aren't even much over a pound yet. The rooster is...but the hens seem on the skinny side. Thanks.
They will start laying sometime around 5 months of age. They will take many more months after maturity to reach their maximum weight. But the time they are a year old, they should be at their largest. My smallest weighs somewhere around 4-5 pounds. My largest weighs in somewhere around 6+ pounds.

Back
Top Bottom