Chicken Breed Focus - Polish

I have pesky Polands :clap

I have 25 at the moment, 13 hens and 12 chicks.

Blue frizzles, white crested black, gold lace and Tolbunt chicks. Here are a few pics of my past and present birds ~

Thank you @sumi for using my pic :D
WOW... that's all i can say

I have 2 polish (1 white crested blue and 1 golden). They are so friendly, my blue polish (Prunella) follows me around, lets me hold her and squawks if hungry for blueberries ! or bored. Recently I had a d'Uccle hen go broody so I let her raise a few of my splash silkie rooster x my blue polish hen = the baby in the pic ! couple more also look like the mom and dad . I'll attach some pics. The white crested blue is also on 2 more eggs - 1 hers and 1 Cher (the golden polish!)

Attachments

• New baby 1 day old.jpg
    New baby 1 day old.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 2
  • baby just born.jpg
    baby just born.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Cher .jpg
    Cher .jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 4
  • JiJi daddy.jpg
    JiJi daddy.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 5
  • Prunella.jpg
    Prunella.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 5
· What made you decide to get this breed? They were given to me by a family member and I ended up loving them.

· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose? Mainly eggs and companion.

· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed? They’re little chicken “afros” and their beautiful wide range of colors and patterns.

· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc! I don’t have any at the current moment.

The Polish or Poland breed is best known for its elaborate crest of feathers that nearly cover the entirety of the head. This crest limits their vision and as a result can affect their temperament. Thus, though normally tame, they may be timid and easily frightened.

The oldest accounts of this breed come from The Netherlands, but their exact origins are unknown. O
ne theory suggests that their ancestors were brought by Asian Mongols to Eastern Europe during medieval times, and thus, could have originated in Poland. It is also believed that immigrants brought the breed's predecessors from Spain or Italy in the late 16th century. The Polish was standardised in the Netherlands and declared a thoroughbred in the 16th century already. The American Poultry Association states that the breed was introduced to the USA between 1830 and 1840. The breed was, during a certain period of time, much favoured by American farmers and chicken fanciers.

Polish chickens are bred primarily for ornamental purposes and exhibition, but were originally productive egg layers. Polish hens rarely go broody
and are noted for their white eggs.

The American Poultry Association accepted three Polish varieties into the American Poultry Association’s Standard of Perfection in 1874; additional varieties were accepted in 1883, 1938 and 1963. There are bearded, non-bearded and
frizzle varieties of this breed.

Details:

Purpose: Ornamental; Exhibition
Egg Production: 200 eggs annually
Recognised Colours/Varieties: Bearded and Non-Bearded White, Bearded Buff Laced, Bearded and Non-Bearded Golden, Non-Bearded Black/White crested, Non-Bearded Buff Laced and Non-Bearded Silver

Pic by @dreamwallaby

Pic by @geojane42

Pic by @Yorkshire Coop

Pic by @CarriBrown

BYC Breed Reviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/polish

BYC Breed Discussions:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/355316/polish-thread/0_30
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/585953/i-have-to-talk-polish/0_30
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/395888/tolbunt-polish/0_30

Do you own Polish? Are you a Polish breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

We have a bunch of other awesome breed-focus threads for you to enjoy. You can see all of them all.

I bought two Polish Girls as lil peeps. I did not know what I was getting but, the were so cute.
They are now a solid 10 weeks old and growing like weeds. The first one is a Black White Crested and the second is a Silver Laced.
My little Black White Crested received a nearly fatal attack by my big girls 2 weeks ago but, she is a tough lil survior and is alive. I received A Lot of help from LeFleche on BYC. Thank God.
Attached are some pictures of Becky ( Silver Lace) and Punkie (Black WC) before her near fatal attack.

Attachments

• 20200701_213343.jpg
    20200701_213343.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200629_192804.jpg
    20200629_192804.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200613_160155.jpg
    20200613_160155.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 3
I got my first polish about a month ago. It is about 4.5 weeks old and I'm not sure if i have a pullet or roo. What should i look for?
Me too! We have a bet going in our family which chick would eventually lay an egg first. The one I picked looks like it is developing a red wattle, but at 5 weeks I have no idea if it will be a rooster or hen.

Back
Top Bottom