Chicken Breed Focus - Polish

I'd like to ask do you have any pictures showing how much of the feather you cut back and how it looks as you trim them back for the girls to be able to see better.
We have 2 Roo's & I'd like to give them both better paripheral view.
We only have hens but we cut around and above the eyes and sides. Some of our girls have thicker feathers around the eyes than others. We are in the north of England so we do have a lot of rain which can be a problem for Polish especially in winter! They dont mind a haircut though and some are clearly much happier that they can see better!
20200427_123848.jpg

The white is Alice and you can sort of see weve cut above her eyes and she just had a 'fro now. The cuckoo is Daphne and she had her head feathers ripped out by an agressive roo before we rescued her so she doesn't have the same problem!

20200623_201109.jpg

Curious Daphne

20200118_141220.jpg

This is Honey our gold lace. Hers doesn't grow quite as thick but she is in need of a little trim in this pic

20200623_201145.jpg

Velmas grows really thick Haha bless her. In need of a good cut

20191012_181232.jpg

White crested Domino has a great haircut! Stella the silver Sussex obviously doesn't need one 😁
20191006_163941.jpg

Happy trimming!

(Giggles to self) ah hah. Your word choice had me curious. Sure enough, your "across the pond". How cool it is. Great to know both which tool and an assistant is best.
Thanks @Crazy Chicken Helen ...
No problem.
TIP always cut when they are completely dry. I once made the mistake of trimming when Velma was wet through. As her centre head feathers had fallen forward due to the weight of the wetness, she ended up looking like Friar Tuck for a while!🤣🤣
DSC_0513.JPG

Poor V!

Hey you Polish enthusiasts, make sure you enter the 2021 BYC Calendar Contest!

• Post a high-resolution picture in the contest thread that is at least 3,000 pixels wide & 2,000 pixels tall (landscape/sideways mode is best). If you aren't sure of your picture's size, use this: Pictorum Image Analyzer.
  • Landscape mode (cell phone sideways) oriented pictures are preferred. landscape_1.png
  • *No people* in the picture (no faces, fingers, hands, arms, legs, etc.).
  • Limit of 2 pictures per user, one picture per post, please.
  • No watermarks, text, etc. on the image.
  • We want to see the world through your eyes, not through the excessive use of editing tools. However, basic cropping and poop removal is allowed.
  • Chickens only.
  • The deadline for submissions is August 31st.

Hope to see you there!

No problem.
TIP always cut when they are completely dry. I once made the mistake of trimming when Velma was wet through. As her centre head feathers had fallen forward due to the weight of the wetness, she ended up looking like Friar Tuck for a while!🤣🤣
View attachment 2235123
Poor V!
Or to make a anime reference, The Last Airbender? Regardless, wisdom is always worthwhile....
Pooften, my sisters Polish Hen.
Well, well, now I know what a female version of our "Poledark" looks like....(giggles) and she looks SO Victorian in stature too! I'll try to upload a pic tonight. The last 2 days it's been horrendous trying to upload pics.....

The Polish or Poland breed is best known for its elaborate crest of feathers that nearly cover the entirety of the head. This crest limits their vision and as a result can affect their temperament. Thus, though normally tame, they may be timid and easily frightened.

The oldest accounts of this breed come from The Netherlands, but their exact origins are unknown. O
ne theory suggests that their ancestors were brought by Asian Mongols to Eastern Europe during medieval times, and thus, could have originated in Poland. It is also believed that immigrants brought the breed's predecessors from Spain or Italy in the late 16th century. The Polish was standardised in the Netherlands and declared a thoroughbred in the 16th century already. The American Poultry Association states that the breed was introduced to the USA between 1830 and 1840. The breed was, during a certain period of time, much favoured by American farmers and chicken fanciers.

Polish chickens are bred primarily for ornamental purposes and exhibition, but were originally productive egg layers. Polish hens rarely go broody
and are noted for their white eggs.

The American Poultry Association accepted three Polish varieties into the American Poultry Association’s Standard of Perfection in 1874; additional varieties were accepted in 1883, 1938 and 1963. There are bearded, non-bearded and
frizzle varieties of this breed.

Details:

Purpose: Ornamental; Exhibition
Egg Production: 200 eggs annually
Recognised Colours/Varieties: Bearded and Non-Bearded White, Bearded Buff Laced, Bearded and Non-Bearded Golden, Non-Bearded Black/White crested, Non-Bearded Buff Laced and Non-Bearded Silver

Pic by @dreamwallaby

Pic by @geojane42

Pic by @Yorkshire Coop

Pic by @CarriBrown

BYC Breed Reviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/polish

BYC Breed Discussions:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/355316/polish-thread/0_30
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/585953/i-have-to-talk-polish/0_30
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/395888/tolbunt-polish/0_30

Do you own Polish? Are you a Polish breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

We have a bunch of other awesome breed-focus threads for you to enjoy. You can see all of them here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-breed-focus-project.975504/
Here is our Polish at about 10 wks. A rooster I believe. He is the only polish we have so he is very special!

Attachments

• 00000IMG_00000_BURST20200704143642048_COVER.jpg
    00000IMG_00000_BURST20200704143642048_COVER.jpg
    530.6 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom