Chicken Breed Focus Rhode Island Red

Pics
These are eggs from my RIR's but my Sex-Link eggs are about the same. They all lay brown eggs but different shades of brown.

Last edited:
Hmmmm. Maybe this "pink" is the pigment of brown that came out on her first "egg drop" & the others will be brown. My 2 older girls lay a very light blue & a beige color. I'm just excited that someone is starting to lay.
1f606.png

Next are my ducks. I'm just as excited if not more, for them to lay. 1 drake & 2 hens. He is mating with them, but I was told they won't lay or nest til spring. They are nesting now & getting "homey ".
Might I possibly get duck eggs before spring? That would be AWESOME !!
Thank you for your input & any & all help. Much appreciated.

cmon, Those eggs are beautiful!! My chickens lay brown eggs also, some darker, some lighter. Enjoyed your photos... Kay in NC 9 29 15

I agree the eggs are beautiful. Especially love the first picture, looks so... Artsy? Cute? I don't know, it's just a gorgeous picture and I love all the different shades.

cmon, Those eggs are beautiful!! My chickens lay brown eggs also, some darker, some lighter. Enjoyed your photos... Kay in NC 9 29 15

I agree the eggs are beautiful. Especially love the first picture, looks so... Artsy? Cute? I don't know, it's just a gorgeous picture and I love all the different shades.

Thanks, that was my basket for collecting the eggs. It finally fell apart after being glued several times. I had it for a long time.

Last edited:
Thanks, that was my basket for collecting the eggs. It finally fell apart after being glued several times. I had it for a long time.

Ahh it's a shame it fell apart but nice it lasted so long. :) are those all RIRs? So interesting the same breed can lay so many different looking eggs

Yes, pure. I bought half a dzn eggs, and hatched out 4 males, 2 females. I kept what I thought was the best looking cockerel. I wasn't let down. =) I kinda figured on around 30 weeks ish to begin laying. We have other breeds, but these 3 are my pride and joy. Lol

Yes, pure. I bought half a dzn eggs, and hatched out 4 males, 2 females. I kept what I thought was the best looking cockerel. I wasn't let down. =) I kinda figured on around 30 weeks ish to begin laying. We have other breeds, but these 3 are my pride and joy. Lol

WOW, that is great that all 6 eggs hatched. Do you know what line they are from? Just curious.

Quote:
I started out with a quad 3 females and a male. A few years later I got another quad from another breeder. I eventually sold all of the offspring from the first quad and now have descendants of the second quad. Both of my quads were the Reese/Mohawk line. Last year I got another Reese/Mohawk cockerel from the breeder I got my second quad from. My goal is to keep the birds pure Reese/Mohawk. Since I show my birds at poultry shows I liked the second quads looks better. Since I have hatched out hundreds of chicks and through selective breeding have improved my birds. Originally when I entered my birds in the shows I placed fair. Nothing great but with each succeeding generation the birds improved and last show season 3 of my birds took champion. It was years of work and selective breeding. Many people love the birds and have no interest in showing them which is great. I also raise Rose Comb Rhode Island Whites. My avatar is some of my RIR's and RIW's. Good luck with your birds and have fun...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom