Chicken Breed Focus - Sebright

Pics
Is she a Sebright mix? And if so does that mean she may go broody and could possibly hatch chicks?
First, I'm fairly new to sebrights, but in my opinion, the only thing that I question is her beak, it looks rather long to me, but it may just be the angle of the pic. A good side angle view would he helpful, showing her tail and full body shape.

Is she a Sebright mix? And if so does that mean she may go broody and could possibly hatch chicks?

She looks like a young Golden Sebright to me. (I'm not an expert & only have one.) Comb & wattles develop as they get near to laying. "Sebrights seldom go broody" is what most descriptions say. Obviously some of the Sebrights on this thread haven't read that part. My little Trouble demands a lot of attention. She may be the smallest, but she thinks she's the queen of the coop. The orpingtons are too easy-going, so none question it.

She looks like a young Golden Sebright.
smile.png
Beauty looked just like her.

As far as going broody, that seems to be based a lot on weather patterns and if other hens are staring to go broody. Mine like to all go at the same time for seemingly random reasons (probably a change in the weather, rain patterns, ect), I've even had Leghorns and Red Stars go broody during such times, so other hens certainly help to encourage.

I finally got around to getting a side view of her. She is starting to look more and more like a sebright to me..or at least a sebright mix. She seems to have a lot more black than most of the sebright pics I've seen. She is a camera poser..I have pics of her standing all pretty and her face up in the camera. I have absolutely fallen in love with her.

Here's Trouble. She hatched one black orp & I added 2 lav orps the next day. Chicks are 4 days old now.

Can you spot a chick?

Here's a better hint....

All 3 are under her in the above pic, but the black one is peeking out from behind the wing.

I moved the little family into the run - but inside this rabbit cage. It's my way of making sure the other hens don't rip apart the chicks. In a few days, they'll get used to seeing each other & I'll allow some grass time.

Here's Trouble. She hatched one black orp & I added 2 lav orps the next day. Chicks are 4 days old now.

Can you spot a chick?

Here's a better hint....

All 3 are under her in the above pic, but the black one is peeking out from behind the wing.

I moved the little family into the run - but inside this rabbit cage. It's my way of making sure the other hens don't rip apart the chicks. In a few days, they'll get used to seeing each other & I'll allow some grass time.

love.gif

And the LO's are beautiful!

Thanks. I have the BIG English Orps.
They'll be the same size as little Trouble in about 2 weeks. Not sure how she'll deal with that dilemma, but at least the weather's getting warmer.

Yes, that should be interesting! Hope you post some pics as they grow with her.

I have American LO's. The boys are monstrous, the girls aren't so bad. Although my little bantam cochin was trying to mate with one of my new LO girls, and he looked like a fly on a watermelon!
gig.gif

Can you spot a chick?

Here's a better hint....

Gorgeous chicks and Trouble is lovely! Congrats!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom