Chicken Breed Focus - Sebright

Pics
Does anyone else here keep their Sebrights in a mixed flock?

Trouble (my Sebright) is in with LF. (Mostly Orpingtons) She's screeches &/or pecks when she feels offended. I have seen her bully a LF Dominique as well as her mama - the only other bantam. The Sebright wins every time! Because of her speed & agility, she always acquires the best & biggest treats. I would have thought that the big hens would have put her in her place by now, but apparently, her place is "Queen of the Coop." Is this behavior normal?

Oh, sebrights can be quite bossy. I have a mixed flock with both standard and bantam (and mixes of the two) roosters and hens of all ages. My sebright hen always hung out with our standard rooster and didn't really care for the other bantams. But the other bantams generally stick together and shy away from the larger ones, perhaps because they weren't raised together. I call it the bantam "mini-flock".

Greetings ! Just a pic update of my Silver Sebrights . These guys are great . One of the Roos will perch on my shoulder every time I go in the coop :)

Trouble Update:
She decided 1.5 weeks ago to go broody. It was contagious & her mama, Cookie, also decided to go broody. I kept stealing their eggs, putting them back outside, & forcing them to sleep on the roost. When they started sitting on imaginary eggs I finally gave in & set up a broody apartment.

Of course, Cookie then realized what she was in for & wanted out. After 24 hr of ignoring her eggs, I put Cookie back in the coop. (and to think, I was hoping she'd be a good role model for Trouble.) Trouble is still sitting strong & probably happy to have the whole place to herself. I gave her the 2 smallest eggs I could find. It's been 5 days, so I should be able to check for development soon.

Really want my Sebright to go broody as well. And why just 2 eggs? They can cover more than that
Her eggs are not fertile and my other chickens are HUGE English Orpingtons. Their chicks are her size by age 3 weeks. I was laughing every morning when I'd reach under her & remove a giant 2.8 - 3 oz egg. One giant egg is almost the size of her abdomen. I gave her Dominique eggs since they're only med/lg size.

I thought Sebrights weren't a broody breed.
idunno.gif
I guess Trouble didn't know that! This is her 1st time. She's not even a year old but so persistent. I really don't need/want more chicks. I have a 4H incubation project going on in my living room. They're due on May 13, so I may swap out the eggs & place some chicks under her.

My sebright, Beauty, went broody also and was a great mother. She was pretty ferocious when it came to defending her babies, she even killed another hen's chicks so that her babies would have more space and food (not that it was a problem, but I guess Beauty didn't know that).
Most of my sebright mixes are showing signs of going broody, but likely that is the OEGB and silkie inside of them. Some are over a year and have yet to show signs of being broody yet, but it can be so hard to guess when a hen wants to go broody. Unless its our hen, Princess, who just goes broody every three months or so (as soon as her chicks are "weaned"). She's already broody again and she just hatched this spring!

Trouble Update:
She decided 1.5 weeks ago to go broody. It was contagious & her mama, Cookie, also decided to go broody. I kept stealing their eggs, putting them back outside, & forcing them to sleep on the roost. When they started sitting on imaginary eggs I finally gave in & set up a broody apartment.

Of course, Cookie then realized what she was in for & wanted out. After 24 hr of ignoring her eggs, I put Cookie back in the coop. (and to think, I was hoping she'd be a good role model for Trouble.) Trouble is still sitting strong & probably happy to have the whole place to herself. I gave her the 2 smallest eggs I could find. It's been 5 days, so I should be able to check for development soon.
Trouble is such a character! It is really fun to read about her.

Back
Top Bottom