Chicken Breed Focus - Sebright

Pics
My crazy little sebright (Trouble) is trying out a new trick.

She's a feisty girl & makes sure all know what she wants. If I leave the yard without giving her a treat, she'll scream torture. I quickly return to see who may be attacking her, & she simply looks up at me expectantly. (No other critters around.) I have heard her screech at other hens who may think about taking HER nest and have literally seen her peck at full-sized Orps who offend her. Trouble is definitely an appropriate name.

So Trouble's new idea is to go broody. A few times I've had to remove her from the nest box after several hours. She's all flat & still like a real broody. After a few min in the sunshine & fresh air, she returns to normal. Today she was looking proud in her nest covering 1 jumbo egg with 2 more near her. My hens lay very, very large eggs. Trouble's spread is only about softball size. She really thinks high of herself.
lau.gif

Here's one of Trouble's tiny eggs. (DH calls her "Useless chicken." I call her entertainment.)

Trouble's egg next to the egg she was trying to sit on.

gig.gif
Thank you for the story! You need an "Adventures of Trouble" thread...
lol.png

My Silver Sebright Has Been Laying Eggs Like Crazy. 4 a week from only one hen.

My goldens are shocking the crap outta me. I have 4 hens and I'm getting at least 3 eggs every day. Most days all 4!

My Silver Sebright Has Been Laying Eggs Like Crazy. 4 a week from only one hen.
Trouble's been laying like crazy too. I just added it up from my record chart.

Her very 1st egg was Feb 10th. (so only laying for 55days) In those 55 days, she made 42 eggs. That' averages to almost 5 1/2 eggs per week!!!! In the beginning it was every other day, but now the eggs come daily. I suppose she feels she must work harder to keep up with the big girls & their giant eggs.

Today's it's raining & the yard looks like a giant mud hole. My chickens think they're ducks! All (including Trouble) are all over the yard. Nothing like the smell of wet chicken!
sickbyc.gif

Trouble's been laying like crazy too. I just added it up from my record chart.

Her very 1st egg was Feb 10th.  (so only laying for 55days)  In those 55 days, she made 42 eggs.  That' averages to almost 5 1/2 eggs per week!!!!  In the beginning it was every other day, but now the eggs come daily.  I suppose she feels she must work harder to keep up with the big girls & their giant eggs.

Today's it's raining & the yard looks like a giant mud hole.  My chickens think they're ducks!  All (including Trouble) are all over the yard.  Nothing like the smell of wet chicken! 
:sick
That's definitely up there in my record book lol

Trouble has great lacing, but I have no idea of her quality. Once I read that sebrights were flighty, I never considered keeping one. DD needed eggs for a 4H project, so we got an assortment from a lady about an hour from here. We had planned to rehome all the chicks. We hatched: 3 beautiful Blue French Marans, a LF Silver Laced Cochin, 4 Blue Laced Barnevelders, a white Silkie, & an Olive egger in addition to Trouble. All were beautiful, but I forced myself not to get attached. The plan was to keep a Dominique who was hatched via some shipped eggs. Only one Dom chick hatched, so I had DD pick a "buddy" for it from the other hatching. (Sttill not considering to keep a Sebright long term.) The two only stayed close to each other, so when fall came, DD begged to keep the annoying Sebright - now named Trouble. DD argued that Trouble was so small, we shouldn't really count her in our chicken numbers. Because of Trouble's agility, we started training. Now she's not as bad - for us - but she's still feisty.

Most of the flock consists of English Orpingtons. Giant birds, big eggs, slow moving, & docile..... basically about as opposite as you can get. We still laugh at all those little sebright eggs. I have to use 2-3 to equal one orp egg.

That's really impressive are they breeder quality?

I didn't buy them as such, but the gal that I bought the hatching eggs from has other show birds and all very nice quality birds. I just wasn't concerned about it at the time. I've posted pics, and would welcome comments on them. Will try to get new pics soon also.

Back
Top Bottom