Chicken Breed Focus - Sebright

Pics
Trouble Update.
Trouble had 3 chicks for a few days then a lonely only egg hatched. We kept the new chick inside for 3 days to make sure it could walk, eat, drink, etc. Then I carefully put it in with Trouble. To my surprise, she didn't attack it. (That's what always happened with my other broody hens. Neither would accept new chicks once they walked away from the nest.) If anyone pecked, it was the newbie chick. It was so excited to see other chicks. I am so grateful not to have an extra brooder!

Each morning I carry the 4 chicks to a playpen in the grass & then carry them back inside the run to their cage at night. Trouble runs along side me. She's never been aggressive towards me, but she's very vocal. She & her former BFF (Bubbles) were totally attacking one another. So that's another reason why I'm glad to have my current set up.

I really enjoy watching Trouble be a mom. She allows the chicks more freedom than my other broodies, but boy, does she ever make a ruckus if anything gets close! Today my dog ran past the playpen, & Trouble turned into a mini, squawking turkey. Her back feathers & tail were standing straight up, so she looked completely round. What a funny sight!

Awesome picks! They look so happy! I have around 11 broody hens/momma hens and four of them are sebright mixes. Half of them have standard chicks as well.
: )

Last edited:
We rehomed a black chick when we saw it was a male. Trouble's remaining chicks are now 4 weeks old and about the same size. Here she is sleeping with them last night. The lav on the right is also a male, but we decided to keep him for a while.

We rehomed a black chick when we saw it was a male. Trouble's remaining chicks are now 4 weeks old and about the same size. Here she is sleeping with them last night. The lav on the right is also a male, but we decided to keep him for a while.

Such a cute pic! She is so tiny; she makes her chicks seem like Baby Hueys.

lau.gif

I can't help but laugh at the sight of my tiny Sebright trying to cover her giant Orpington chicks. They're 4 weeks.

She certainly has the perfect expression for the job.

Back
Top Bottom