Chicken Breed Focus - Sebright

Pics

Does any one know what kind of chick I am

My husband found him on the side of the road by a factory area so we don't know where he came from but he was about a mile away from the corporate ifa distribution center, but he has a cute light pink comb

My husband found him on the side of the road by a factory area so we don't know where he came from but he was about a mile away from the corporate ifa distribution center, but he has a cute light pink comb

I'm glad you guys took him in. : )

He/she may be a mix-breed or it could be a purposefully designed hybrid for laying or for meat. The cream tinge to the white color makes me think he isn't pure.

Ok so I got my chicken a little duck friend and I put them together and they started fighting has any one experienced this and if so how do you introduce them so we can keep them together

Ok so I got my chicken a little duck friend and I put them together and they started fighting has any one experienced this and if so how do you introduce them so we can keep them together
Never tried a duck, but when adding new chickens they must be introduced slowly. They're flock animals, so anyone not part of the flock is a threat & attacked. Try housing them separately near each other but unable to physically attack. There are several good articles about how to add chickens, so there's probably something about ducks too.

Teen birds can be a little picky about one another, especially if there is a size, age, breed, or species difference. Try putting wire between them for a week or so, then let them play together out in a yard where it isn't their "territory". Eventually they should want each others' company.

If they continue to not get along a couple chicks for your new chicken might be better, as the behaviors of a duck are very different from a chicken's and can confuse them.

I'm thinking of owning chickens, and I was wondering what chicken breeds would work for a beginner?
D.gif

I don't think Sebrights are the best choice for a beginner, but that's just my opinion.

It really depends on your goals for the birds, and your own personal conditions. Many things to consider such as Size? Egg laying? Eye candy (just pretty chickens)? Broody hens? Cold/heat hardiness? etc, etc.

I'm thinking of owning chickens, and I was wondering what chicken breeds would work for a beginner?
D.gif

There are so many amazing breeds that work wonderfully for beginning keepers. If you want a layer or a dual-purpose bird than there are a lot of awesome choices. Plymouth Rocks, Orpingtons, Jersey Giants, Speckled Sussex and Wyandottes. Cochins and silkies make awesome pets.
Practically any of the common breeds are good for beginners, though if you have a small run or coop then a flighty breed (like a leghorn or minorca) would not be the best choice.

Chickens are a ton of fun. Good luck with your plans! : )

Back
Top Bottom