Chicken Breed Focus - Sebright

Pics
Greetings! Hope all is well with everyone and their birds! Just a few pics of my Sebrights! I have three roosters and two very sweet girls. I'm wanting to work on improving my flock genetically, so any advice would be appreciated. Also wanting to add new blood into them . With the breeds decline in numbers lately I feel this is a responsibility of ours that keep these awesome and stunning little guys. So thanks in advance and be well:)

I think they are gorgeous! Nice crisp lacing, very uniform... healthy looking beautiful birds!

What area of southern WV are you? If I still had my sebrights (I had goldens), I would love to have gotten some silvers from you! I live near Parkersburg.

Last edited:
Owning a Sebright was an "accident" for us. When I 1st read about them & saw "flighty", "loud" , & " fair - low egg production." I stopped reading. My DD hatched some misc. bantams under a broody for fun. We picked up the eggs on our way through central IL & I never realized how lucky we were to have found them. After the hatch, we needed a buddy for a lonely only in our incubator. I had her take a chick from our broody & that's when she picked a crazy chick we later named Trouble. The rest of the bantam chicks were sold or given away because of limited coop size.

Recently at the county fair we saw some Sebrights on display. That's when I 1st read that they are a rare breed. I never knew that before. I feel lucky to own Trouble. She's a great little bird with both looks & attitude. I doubt I'd consider breeding them, but I can't think of our flock without her. Most of our chickens are Lavender Orpingtons. They follow the rules & always stay inside the yard. The big docile Orps & the tiny spitfire go very well together. To a Sebright, the fence is more of a suggestion. LOL

Thank you for repying! I will be sure to tell them about your praise:) lol,
We are outside of Beckley Wv!
Do you still raise Lavander Orpingtons ? I have Black Aussies and would love to put some Orpington blood back into them !

Awesome! I do still have lav orps. Be happy to meet you sometime with eggs or chicks!

After just saying how much fun Trouble is, I discovered some strange behavior today.

She was in the nest box today& doing a minor broody scream. (She's a vocal hen, so she could have just wanted some privacy.) We usually just keep kicking broodies outside until she either gives up or goes full broody. Tonight at chicken count, Trouble was missing. DD found her on the ground outside the run near sunset refusing to move. She acted odd & seemed a bit agitated. No injuries found, so I put her back into the coop. A few min later some squawking & flapping noises led me to look again in the coop & there was back inside a nest box.

I read Sebrights seldom go broody, but Trouble already went broody from late April 28- early July. She even stayed with her chicks for another week after she started laying. Isn't it a little too soon for her to go broody again? Is there something else I should be looking for?

After just saying how much fun Trouble is, I discovered some strange behavior today.

She was in the nest box today& doing a minor broody scream. (She's a vocal hen, so she could have just wanted some privacy.) We usually just keep kicking broodies outside until she either gives up or goes full broody. Tonight at chicken count, Trouble was missing. DD found her on the ground outside the run near sunset refusing to move. She acted odd & seemed a bit agitated. No injuries found, so I put her back into the coop. A few min later some squawking & flapping noises led me to look again in the coop & there was back inside a nest box.

I read Sebrights seldom go broody, but Trouble already went broody from late April 28- early July. She even stayed with her chicks for another week after she started laying. Isn't it a little too soon for her to go broody again? Is there something else I should be looking for?

My sebright mix went broody this spring and hatched 11 chicks. They are around 2 months old now and she is already broody again with around 9 chicks. Believe me, they can go for multiple clutches a year. : )

Does anyone know this breed???

We LOVE this breed! They are one of the sweetest and friendly birds we breed. They are the only breed we allow to free range. One will come in door and jump in a cage we have babies in and lay her egg, that is so precious!

They will lay their eggs in many places but not at same time. We just watch them and they'll show them to us so we can gather them! They're one of our most fertile breeds also, our Roo and 3 hens can keep up with some of our bigger groups.

Silver are on our short list as well as Black Laced Lemon!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom