Chicken Breed Focus - Silkie

Pics
Hey guys! I currently don't have any silkies, and I never have. But I am very interested in them. I have a few questions.
1. Can they fly? I have heard somewhere that they can't because of their feather but that could just be a myth or something.
2. How big are they? Are they standard or bantam?
3. Does anyone know of any good breeders around Philadelphia PA?
4. This might be a little silly, but how soft are they?
Thanks in advance for any/all questions answered

Question 1) Silkies don't fly like other bantams but they still use their wings to flap when hopping onto places. I saw two of my Silkie hens sparring with each other and both jumped nearly 4 feet in the air while sparring. I saw our broody 2.2-lb Silkie hen fighting with our 5.45-lb Blue Wheaten Ameraucana and the Silkie was jumping quite a height trying to get a dominance hold on the back of the Ameraucana. Generally Silkies are sweet docile birds but during broody times they can get on each other's nerves occasionally. I have a 2-foot rabbit fencing around my garden to keep the chickens out and the Silkies don't even try to jump over it. They are pretty much ground creepers rather than flyers. Other breeds of chickens will come running or flying when they see me while the Silkies have a cute fast hop, skip, running waddle when they come to see me. They arrive last sometimes so therefore I feed them the treats first! However, I do have one little Silkie that can beat the flock at running!

Question 2) Bantam Silkies range from 2 to 2.5-lbs. They are the largest bantam breed to my knowledge and therefore their eggs are the largest of the bantam breeds. Our Silkie eggs average 1.25-oz and occasionally get a 1.3 to 1.5-oz egg from our girls. There are large fowl Silkies but they are more prevalent in the U.K. but there might be a large fowl Silkie breeder in the USA that I don't know about.

Question 3) I pass on this question since I can only recommend a breeder on my West Coast.

Question 4) Silkies can feel incredibly soft depending on the individual bird. I have one very densely-feathered Partridge that doesn't feel as soft as my little Black Silkie - she feels like rabbit fur to the touch. Their "flight" wing feathers look like normal large fowl feathers but pretty much the rest of their feathers look and feel like fluffy "fur"

Not really. If they stay in a muddy/poopy run all the time, obviously there will be issues. But, if they're kept in normal conditions, no. When it rains I get the occasional streak of mud or whatever on an egg, but that's pretty much the worst of it.

Thanks so much! They seem so cuddly and cute! I'm super excited to see if I can get one. But I still don't know if it would work with my other chicken. Would I need to adjust my roost so it is shorter? Or would it be okay sleeping on the floor? The roost is only about a foot and a half off the coop floor. And are they winter/summer hardy, since we can get really cold snowy winters and hot summers.

Last edited:
One more question. Do their feathered feet need any special mantinence?

Right now all my breeds have feathered legs/toes. I'm so accustomed to feathered crests or feathered legs that I forget sometimes they are a bit different from "common" chicken breeds
lol.png
. Not difficult to maintain - just different from maintenance on other breeds.

On my vet's recommendation I could use either Vitamin A or Vitamin E oils on all my chicken breeds with or without feathered legs/feet. Depending on outdoor weather conditions I treat ALL my chicken breeds to a leg/foot massage of vitamin E oil and wipe off the excess. I treat them at night after roosting when they are easier to handle and put them back in the coop after the treatment. The vet suggested to massage the vitamin oil into the leg/toe feathers as well, and even put some on the beak, face skin, comb, and wattles. The vitamin is beneficial as it absorbs into the skin. Some people use vaseline or vegetable oil as a treatment for leg mites or for preventing frostbite on big combs but I find the vitamin oil a lot less messy/staining on the chicken feathers and the vitamin oil is much less greasy. I wipe off excess vitamin E oil and put the chicken back on the roost at night and by morning the vitamin has completely absorbed into the feathers/skin with no messy residue like vaseline leaves. Vitamin E oil comes in a bottle but I suppose you could puncture a Vit E capsule and squeeze out the oil too. I have only 4 hens so this maintenance is easy for us. Probably a lot more work for people who have large flocks?

Every once in a while a leg/toe quill might pull out and bleed so we dab the bleeding with hydrogen pyroxide on a Q-tip until the bleeding stops and keep the bird on the kitchen floor for a couple hours until we're confident to put the hen outdoors again. Pulled quills or broken toe feathers happens very rarely but the feathers will wear down as the Silkies or our other feather-legged breeds forage outdoors.

FLUFFY LEG/TOE FEATHERS ON YOUNG SILKIE PULLET

AFTER 41/2 YRS OF HAPPY OUTDOOR FORAGING IN DIRT/COBWEBS/DEBRIS SHE NOT ONLY HAS VERY FEW TOE FEATHERS, SHE'S ACTUALLY WORN OFF SOME TOENAILS AND LOST HALF OF TWO OUTSIDE TOES FROM OBSESSIVE SCRATCHING!!!

YOUNG BREDA PULLET ABOUT 5 MOS OLD WITH VERY FLUFFY LONG TOE FEATHERS

BREDA AT ABOUT 1 YR OLD WITH TOE FEATHERS WORN FROM OUTDOOR FORAGING AND TAKING DUSTBATHS

Thanks so much! They seem so cuddly and cute! I'm super excited to see if I can get one. But I still don't know if it would work with my other chicken. Would I need to adjust my roost so it is shorter? Or would it be okay sleeping on the floor? The roost is only about a foot and a half off the coop floor. And are they winter/summer hardy, since we can get really cold snowy winters and hot summers.

Silkies are the adorable Teddy Bears of the chicken world! Feather-footed Cochin bantams are cuties too! I happen to like the Silkies because they lay the largest egg of the bantam breeds and their crests are so very cute too. I have had my 2 Silkie hens for 5 years now. They do very well in hot weather but I won't let them romp in heavy muddy rain - very light rain is ok but not downpours or snow because the mud cakes up in their foot feathers. They will need a dry covered run in inclement weather. I would not keep just one Silkie among large fowl. There should be 2 or 3 Silkies if there are large fowl otherwise one lone Silkie will get pecked on - I learned the hard way. I keep only docile lightweight large fowl and NO dual-purpose heavy breeds any more. My gentlest large fowl around Silkies are a purebred Blue Wheaten Ameraucana and a BBS (Blue/Black/Splash) Breda.

A LARGE FOWL MARANS CHEWED OUR FIRST SILKIE BALD AND WE HAD TO GET RID OF THE MARANS AND GOT ANOTHER SILKIE INSTEAD

Silkies are pile-on-the-floor sleepers OR nestbox sleepers! Some owners have force-trained their Silkies to roost on perches but mine have always been nestbox sleepers. If you find your Silkies are pile-on-the-floor sleepers then provide them with a large covered cat litterbox to crawl into to sleep. If it's roomy all the Silkies will pile in.

MY NESTBOX SLEEPERS

My 3 Silkies often pile in a nest box to sleep, sometimes only one will be in the nest box and two will roost. Typically 2 are in the nest box and one is roosting, but then all of a sudden out of the blue, they all were roosting last night. Go figure.

OK.... I'm loving all the Silkies pics on here! They are adorable. But they have me wondering about my own. We were told they are silkie bantams, but mine aren't near as fluffy as the ones I am seeing. Could they be a mix? I don't really care because I wasn't planning on showing or breeding. Just kind of wondering. They are only 4 months old, but one doesn't even have a poof at all (didn't make it all the way into the picture).
Also worried we may have more than the one rooster. He is significantly bigger than the rest, so hoping he's the only one. Thoughts??

OK.... I'm loving all the Silkies pics on here! They are adorable. But they have me wondering about my own. We were told they are silkie bantams, but mine aren't near as fluffy as the ones I am seeing. Could they be a mix? I don't really care because I wasn't planning on showing or breeding. Just kind of wondering. They are only 4 months old, but one doesn't even have a poof at all (didn't make it all the way into the picture). Also worried we may have more than the one rooster. He is significantly bigger than the rest, so hoping he's the only one. Thoughts??
To me they look like nonbearded silkies to me, two look like they could go either way. The big one is a beautiful roo and the one with the big old poof looks like a hen to me. If you could have closer picture

Hey guys! I currently don't have any silkies, and I never have. But I am very interested in them. I have a few questions.
1. Can they fly? I have heard somewhere that they can't because of their feather but that could just be a myth or something.
2. How big are they? Are they standard or bantam?
3. Does anyone know of any good breeders around Philadelphia PA?
4. This might be a little silly, but how soft are they?
Thanks in advance for any/all questions answered
Looks like (for what I see) all questions were answered but q.3 idk of any breeders but the Murray McMurray Hatchery can ship you silkies they're in Iowa. Although the minimum is 15 chicks you can never go wrong with silkies! If you order 15 though you'll get a free exotic chick too. I've got 15 SLW chicks and a free EE from there and they're all alive at 5 weeks!

Back
Top Bottom