Chicken Breed Focus - Silkie

Pics
decided to get Silkies because most everyone on BYC gushes over them, and I wanted to add to my collection of yard candy! Mine are hatchery stock, so I only have them for fun.

What I love most about my Silkies are their personalities! They don't bother with pecking order politics. They seem to live outside of its influence. They aren't afraid to stand up to my big girls, either. And the 2 I have are inseperable! We call them "The Babies" because of their size and the fact that they are my youngest hens (just over a year old). They are def lap chickens and loved to be held before they go to bed each night.

Here are Dandelion (splash) and Violet (black) at various stages throughout their little lives. In some pics, you can see their brother Picotee, who is a Silver Sebright.
20190615_123032.jpg

20190622_213049.jpg
20190708_200833.jpg
20190730_193220.jpg
20190812_190721.jpg
20190902_193816.jpg
20190911_193608.jpg
20191116_164831.jpg
20190902_183343.jpg

How many eggs do silkies lay a year? Online there have been many different bits of information

My silkies have laid 4-5 eggs a week at a year old. However...they usually go broody at least 3 times a year which greatly reduces yearly egg production. I even had one pullet go broody before laying a single egg. I have enough silkies that I always have reliable amount of silkie eggs.

Does anyone know if this is a male for female silkie? And what breed and color is this? It has green down feathers, more like Turquoise.... is that normal? The reason I’m asking is because it’s about 6 months old but I’ve never heard it crow, instead it growls LOL.... and make cluck cluck cluck sounds.

I think roo, unless it’s mixed with something else ????? No idea

Does anyone know if this is a male for female silkie? And what breed and color is this? It has green down feathers, more like Turquoise.... is that normal? The reason I’m asking is because it’s about 6 months old but I’ve never heard it crow, instead it growls LOL.... and make cluck cluck cluck sounds.

Looks male to me

The Silkie breed was developed in the southeast Asian countries or China. It's named for its atypically fluffy plumage, which is said to feel like silk. The breed has several other unusual qualities, such as black skin and bones, blue earlobes, and five toes on each foot, whereas most other chickens only have four. They are often exhibited in poultry shows and come in various colors. It was valued as a medicinal food item in Asia, because of its black skin and bones, and was thought to be particularly good to reinforce body immunity and protect from emaciation and feebleness. It also is reported to treat diabetes, anemia, female reproductive functioning and postpartum disorders. Marco Polo gave the first accounts of Silkie chickens in the late 13th century. As trade route between East and West were established, the Silkie was brought to Europe. Records have shown that in the Netherlands, they were sold as the product of crossing a rabbit and a chicken!

Nowadays the breed is very popular for the purpose of pet chickens as well as exhibition. They are not good layers, averaging 3 eggs per week, but are known and valued for their exceptional broodiness and are often used for hatching eggs from other breeds. They are also considered very good pet chickens, especially for children and are known for their friendliness and docile temperaments.

The breed was officially recognized in North America by acceptance into the Standard of Perfection in the first year of publication which was 1874.

Details:

Detail Value
Breed Purpose Ornamental
Comb Walnut
Broodiness Frequent
Climate Tolerance All Climates
Egg Productivity Medium
Egg Size Small
Egg Color Light Brown
Breed Temperament Friendly,Easily handled,Calm,Bears confinement well,Quiet,Docile
Breed Colors/Varieties Grey, Blue, Splash, Partridge, Buff, Black, White are the standard colors with many off standard & derivative colors in existance today.

Pic by @RooptyDoo

Pic by @RooptyDoo

Pic by @Brody's Broodello

Pic by @Sustained

Pic by @CrazyChookLady5

BYC Breed reviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/silkie

Breed Discussion Threads:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/297632/silkie-thread/0_30
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/579215/silkie-sexing/0_30
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/690632/silkie-breeding-genetics-showing/0_30

Do you own Silkies? Are you a Silkie breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

We have a bunch of other awesome breed-focus threads for you to enjoy. You can see all of them here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-breed-focus-project.975504/
F9F4D548-969B-40AF-ABC1-D701671FD6CF.jpeg

This is “Ava”. I’m not sure if she’s a pullet or cockerel? What are your thoughts? She’s definitely the sweetest, most mild mannered one. She’s about 9/10 weeks

Back
Top Bottom