1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Breed Focus - Swedish Flower Hen

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sumi, Mar 16, 2017.

1. DirtRoadChicks

DirtRoadChicks Out Of The Brooder Premium Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Chiefland, FL
    My Coop
    I just put in two dozen eggs of this breed. I was in between these and 55 flowery hens but due to delays in shipping from Greenfire on the 55 I went ahead and ordered some SFH eggs. This will be my second batch in my first I only got 2 chicks from 15 shipped eggs. I'm hoping the two dozen do better!!!

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Are you running a dry hatch? It is my understanding they are a little harder to hatch than some others.

I hatched some recently. At 5 weeks I can tell 7 out of 9 are boys! It is nice to be able to tell so young. I have had a surprise late bloomer (like 2 weeks)... I select against late bloomers though. Hopefully the last two will stay girls!

3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    7 out of 9? [​IMG] Hope the other 2 are girls!

4. EggSighted4Life

Me too! Someone is driving 7 hours each way in May to get those 2 hopefully girls... [​IMG]

5. DirtRoadChicks

Mar 17, 2017
    Chiefland, FL
    My Coop
    I do run dry hatches I hatch about 60-100 per week and have been dry hatching for 3 years now!

6. DirtRoadChicks

Mar 17, 2017
    Chiefland, FL
    My Coop
    So you hatched to sell? From your own birds or purchased eggs?

7. EggSighted4Life

I don't have hard intentions to sell, it is just working out that way. Though because they are driving so far and even staying at a motel, I am not planning to charge. My market is very small here. So I mostly hatch for myself. I posted pics of my birds, maybe the 3rd post on the thread. They are a lot of fun. But trying to make $ or worrying about it throws me off a bit. It would be nice to cover some of my expenses. But my hobby doesn't cost more than hubbies hobby yet, even though I spend $100/ month on chicken feed, $60/mo on dog feed, and at least $20/mo on hay for the goaties. Never mind fencing and housing and such. [​IMG]

They were hatched from my own birds. And this was my first ever hatch. [​IMG]

8. DirtRoadChicks

Mar 17, 2017
    Chiefland, FL
    My Coop
    Oh that works :) We make back our feed (the chickens pay for the goats too LOL) our goats I switched to orchard/alfalfa so their hay is costing like $80 a month plus I provide coastal all the time. Our feed is about $200 a month which isn't much considering how many I have (we go to a local feed mill which is nice) I try not to figure in my other costs LOL. My friend keeps a record of everything but I'm horrible about that I say if I know how much they really cost I dunno if I'd want them so much.

9. EggSighted4Life

Yes, I keep track to... But it's still cheaper than going to the gym, and a therapist. So the effects it has on my mental and physical health, plus the connection it brought with the kid far out way my expenses! [​IMG]

That could change if I had major flock issues, I would imagine. [​IMG]

Plus the dog feed is what we spend on security after being burglarized once! More benefit than those alarm companies that send cops after the fact. [​IMG]

Oh, and I got a quote to clear brush... was $50/hr per man. [​IMG] Made it easy to decide to get goats to help with the chores. So when you add my time saved on yard work and instead I get watch animal antics which is free entertainment... oh I don't pay for cable TV either... So many ways to justify my expenses! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. DirtRoadChicks

Mar 17, 2017
    Chiefland, FL
    My Coop
    LOL I justify mine by I want them HA! My kid hates my chickens because its chores for her lol! She will like a few fluffy babies for about TWO DAYS then she's over it HA!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by