Chicken Breed Focus - Swedish Flower Hen

Pics
So I have a lovely little Flower who's 17 weeks now. My question is her tail is always down.
View attachment 1127952
She's right up front in the picture. I know tail down can mean illness but she acts fine. Been treated for cocci and wormed. Could this just be her? Her tail is kinda sparse. I was thinking it's just working on coming in but it's been down like this for quite a while.
Thoughts anyone?

I have a young Marans girl that has been like that since the day she way born.

I would venture to say just her. Not sure if I would breed it forward it it doesn't show improvement with age. Could be genetic and definitely isn't aesthetically pleasing, as far as breeding goes.

You are right though just because something CAN mean illness doesn't mean it is. The more birds I have, the more things I see out of the ordinary. How cool is that this guy who got a rooster from me had a red sex link broody hen successfully hatch and raise chicks! :pop

Could be a sign of her place in the pecking order. Have you checked for red roost mites, northern fowl mites or lice? Do you see any irritation around her vent area. Like redness?

Your birds are beautiful! :love

Cocci is always present. It's only an issue when there is an overgrowth sometimes brought on by climate. Treatments for cocci ONLY slow the growth and do NOT actually kill it. Did your birds need to be wormed or you just did it? Did you treat for the right worms? Not all meds treat all worms. (and especially if you are one who worms with DE). Not saying I think that's it, just sharing info. :)

Thank You for the compliment on my lovelies. I just love Swedish Flowers.

I treated everyone for cocci when I saw "strawberry jam" poo. Not intestinal lining for sure. (These are my first hatchlings so I admit I'm little paranoid.)
All the Flowers have a tendency to roost together and I saw worms under them so I wormed them. I did see a few more slightly wormy poops after that so I know I was killing them. I use Valbazen. Per my reading it covers the most types.

I don't see signs of any creepy crawlies. Vent seems normal too. She doesn't have a ton of tail feathers so I thought that was it at first. But it's not really changing.
I swear it makes her look sad. She's doesn't seem to notice.

Resized_20170709_150007.jpeg Cocci (strawberry jam) poo
Resized_20170709_121440.jpeg Intestinal lining
Resized_20170819_130430.jpeg Roundworms

My babies hatched. I had 18 of 21 from a local Breeder and then Cree shipped me eggs and I had a great hatch from her as well. I'm so excited about my amazing babies. So sweet! Any ideas on colors?
IMG_1248.JPG
IMG_1253.JPG
IMG_1256.JPG
IMG_1251.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1256.JPG
    IMG_1256.JPG
    325.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1251.JPG
    IMG_1251.JPG
    259.3 KB · Views: 17
My babies hatched. I had 18 of 21 from a local Breeder and then Cree shipped me eggs and I had a great hatch from her as well. I'm so excited about my amazing babies. So sweet! Any ideas on colors?View attachment 1155348View attachment 1155353 View attachment 1155349 View attachment 1155351
They are too cute! I remember when mine were that little. They grow soooo fast. I'll go through some pictures and show progression shots. Maybe it will give you a guess on what yours will look like.

The one I easily has the most pictures of is my big roo.
View attachment 1155608 10 days
View attachment 1155609 17 daysView attachment 1155611 4 weeksView attachment 1155610 6 weeks
View attachment 1155616 9 weeks
View attachment 1155617 12 weeks
View attachment 1155618 15 weeks
View attachment 1155619 Almost 6 months

He is beautiful, I love how he has flowered out. He looks so sweet. He is a millie pattern or ?

Anyone every hatch yellow with lite gray on the backs or full yellow SFH? I think they are going to be a interesting color to watch.

I hatched him in may. He is the most colorful. I have a mostly white girl. (Sugar) A mostly amber brown girl (Cinnamon) A tri color girl that's more white based (CC) I ended up with 2 other roosters too. One is mostly white with black and yellow. The other is copper colored with grey tail feathers.

I love how many colors the come in and how their each different and beautiful in their own way. Do you have any pictures of Sugar? She sounds so cute

Back
Top Bottom