Chicken Breed Focus - Wyandotte

Pics
I have a couple of SLWs that are more than 30 weeks and still haven't laid an egg that I can tell. I guess it depends on the pullet. Mine started maturing way later than my Buffs. I don't mind, though. They are really pretty birds and they don't really bother anything or anyone. They have been surprisingly very quiet. Maybe that will change once they start laying, too.

I have a couple of SLWs that are more than 30 weeks and still haven't laid an egg that I can tell. I guess it depends on the pullet. Mine started maturing way later than my Buffs. I don't mind, though. They are really pretty birds and they don't really bother anything or anyone. They have been surprisingly very quiet. Maybe that will change once they start laying, too.
ahh gotcha;) she's 24wks today and one of the favorites but still struggles within the coop order:/ so she may be just a late bloomer. She just do her 1st dust baths today. She's a smart cookie too and definitely a lookout (prefers to be perched up high just watching the others).

Has she squatted for you? My Wyandottes never do the submission squat, but that's how I could tell if my other pullets were close.

Has she squatted for you? My Wyandottes never do the submission squat, but that's how I could tell if my other pullets were close.
no squatting. All other pullets have here as well. I'm not being impatient, lol. I want her to be healthy and happy more important. My hubby said she must be close as her comb and wattles are getting dark red now and she's taking interest in nesting boxes and duSt bathing. She just so different than the other 18 girls. Of course she's still getting pecked on and is worried to leave the perches, even though she is starting to.

My four GLW's (3 pullets, 1 cockerel) have the best looking feathers out of all our birds. They are only 13 weeks old so far from laying. The rooster hates being near me, and the hens are a bit standoffish. Overall not my favorite breed but I will likely be getting different color variations of this breed in the future.

Mine are skittish, but non-aggressive to humans. They don't like being handled at all, but never peck us. They weren't so nice when I tried to integrate Barred Rocks that were 6 weeks their junior. Never was able to. Our Buffs are top of the pecking order at our house, even though they are often characterized as the flock wimps on many websites. They've been picking feathers from 2 of my SLWs saddles. Working on that at the moment.

She is doing much better this week!! We just found a new home for our BCM rooster so we get another pullet:D
Our choice? Of course another Wyandotte, only problem is they only have SLW available the same age range I need (spring hatch). Will this be an issue since 2 different Wyandottes? I don't believe so but we since we really like our Golden, unsure about Silver.
Any help?

She is doing much better this week!! We just found a new home for our BCM rooster so we get another pullet:D
Our choice? Of course another Wyandotte, only problem is they only have SLW available the same age range I need (spring hatch). Will this be an issue since 2 different Wyandottes? I don't believe so but we since we really like our Golden, unsure about Silver.
Any help?

Are you asking if it is OK to combine 2 different color variations of chickens? Absolutely! If you are asking about two different ages, just make sure the youngest is old enough to hold his own and you should be good.

Back
Top Bottom