Chicken Breed Focus - Wyandotte

Pics
Got these today....
Purchased from Dels/Tractor Supply, 6 Wynadotte chicks end of March 2016, thinking they'd be BLRW (one died) but SURPRISE, they're looking to be BLUE Wynadotte Pullets! Now looking for a Cockerel
wee.gif
Raising for their owner while she looks for a male.

Got these today....
Purchased from Dels/Tractor Supply, 6 Wynadotte chicks end of March 2016, thinking they'd be BLRW (one died) but SURPRISE, they're looking to be BLUE Wynadotte Pullets! Now looking for a Cockerel
wee.gif
Raising for their owner while she looks for a male.

Ok so they're about 28wks/7 months, not laying yet nor do they look like they will for awhile (moving & adjusting). The owner told me to feed Layer & Oyster Shells, so I purchased & have been feeding FF. However, I'm questioning the instructions.....Shouldn't they be on Grower/Multi/All Purpose until they start laying?
My girls were fed All Purpose at 18wks & I fed gave them Oyster Shells when they started laying. I don't want to question the owner of the Blues but just wondering what your opinions are....

All of my chickens are on all flock 20% protein feed. I use to feed layer and chick and grower to my different age birds but they all like the food they are not getting the best. So I put them on the same feed to keep from having chicks eating calcium that they don't need and to keep everyone else from eating all the chicks food.
No ill effects here on egg production either. Still getting the same number as I was on layer for the time of year.
Hope this helps you out.

I started offering oyster shell to mine at around 17 weeks but kept them on starter/grower until they started laying (some started at 22 weeks, some not till 24 or more). Although actually technically I did start them on layer for 2 weeks around the same time I offered oyster shell but then I was told to put them back on starter/grower until the first egg. I don't think it matters too much but mine didnt lay for a long time after so it's probably good i switched back. Yours are pretty old and should start laying soon so it shouldn't negatively affect them too much plus they're more grown. I think the concern is more just you don't wanna give too much calcium to growing chicks/pullets (under 18 weeks) cause it can hurt them. After that it's really personal preference. What you might do is keep the oyster shells out but switch back to starter/grower feed

Back
Top Bottom