Chicken Breed Focus - Wyandotte

Pics
Are you asking if it is OK to combine 2 different color variations of chickens? Absolutely! If you are asking about two different ages, just make sure the youngest is old enough to hold his own and you should be good.
yes! A silver wyandotte will be new to the flock and the same age as all the others. We have golden laced wyandotte so wasn't sure with the 2 different Wyandottes what would happen especially since GLW is still having being pecked issues.

I would keep them in for 24, just to be sure it is established, but 48 probably won't be necessary, because they will probably follow the other hens examples.

I would keep them in for 24, just to be sure it is established, but 48 probably won't be necessary, because they will probably follow the other hens examples.
you are right. Decided to get 3 more; 2 SLW & 1 GLW this weekend at the poultry show. Hatchery not able to get pullets till Feb/ March.

Lol small change of opinion: got 2 golden laced wyandotte at the show, dh wanted another buff Orpington. Hatchery found me 4 silver laced for this week! Surprise me.

My GLW, SLW, and BW are all 4 weeks old today. Their BO companions in the brooder are certainly more adventurous, which is no surprise as their adult counterparts in my flock are the same way.

I took the chicks outside today to get some sun. All the other birds were so curious. They would get close to see, but as soon as one of the chicks would walk towards them, the adults would get scared and run away. It's funny to watch a full grown turkey tom skittering over backwards to escape a 4 week old chick.

My sister was the one that picked the Wyandottes I have. We wanted to get fresh eggs again and she was gonna pick astralorps but they weren't available. She picked the SLW because of their cold tolerance and dual purpose. Their striking color scheme played a part I am sure. Mine are currently only 8wks old so I haven't had them very long. They already got foraging down pat. The moment I open the coop they are off scratching. I am sad to say I lost one today. My sister suggested that it could have been a bird of prey.

This is just one of my cockerels. I should have two.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom