Chicken breeders or Folks in South Africa?

My daughter is 15months and 3weeks now. She grew up with Bullet. He was so kind and gentle with her (miss him dearly), and she adored him.

Ah, I have so many photos of them...

But I can see the difference she have in behavior since Bullet died. She always was gentle with the animals; gave them gentle strokes, hugs and laughed at them. The 3 months that we didn't have a dog, changed her. Now she is very agitated with them and handles them hard; hitting them, dragging them around on their ears and necks and tails. She is better now with the cat. She puts the blanket around him and then cuddles him like: 'doe-doe baba' (too adorable for words). Buddy is very wary of her.
And I can't help but wonder what if. What if Bullet never died. He was super hyper. She is also a hyper body. The new pups still need to learn everything that Bullet knew. How to handle softly, calm down, not to jump up, not to bite, not to lick in the face. Even how to play ball and sit still for a dress up and a photo session or three.

And I do have to say: training 2 puppies, a kitten and a baby toddler at the same time is tiresome (I think I might have bitten off more than I can chew at the moment hahaha), but I wouldn't want it any other way. I grew up with pets, by girl should too. And I want them all to grow up together and be the best of friends.

P.S. I would love to have bunnies too! lol, but my little zoo is also about as much as I can handle!
big_smile.png

We stay in an old house on a plot. When we moved in here, we had a rat and mouse disaster. The pests ran over your feet when you sat down, and we couldn't take anything from the cupboards without washing it first. Then we got Mercy. And he wiped them all out. He had to wander further and further from the house to get more prey. Biscuit didn't have that abundance of mice, so he doesn't catch them.
Tonight, our power tripped. My husband went to switch it back on, and found a little mouse, shocked to near death, on the switch board. We fed it to the cat. About half an hour later, same thing happened. This time the mouse got away. So the cat will soon have more food hahaha, since it seems like the mice is multiplying again.

They are so cute. I also had such a hen. She was a good brood, but then the landlord's dog came and had some take-away KFC with her. I hope your chicks grow up healthy chickens
tongue.png

It really is the best life for kids to grow up with animals and lots of space to run around. That's really sad about bullet, they looked like such great friends. I'm sure it will get easier with the others once they all get used to each other, but I get what you're saying. Every time we get a new animal it takes months of frustration to teach the little one to handle them properly, but it's worth it in the end.

Here she is taking care of one of the chicks that got sick

Our landlord has a collie that's quite gentle and she comes over to play every afternoon, but my daughter is still a bit rough with her and keeps trying to pick her up.

The cat even joins in sometimes
lol.png

There are quite a few competitions about for best phot in mags and papers you must check and enter can win moola - lots of luck

I did my first wedding shoot this past weekend (I took my camera with and hanged around with the professional photographers, till they invited me to take part of the shoot lol). I am so excited about the few photos that I got. Busy processing them at the moment, as hubby is out, working bees.
Hold thumbs, we might get a plot of our own. Papers are in, just waiting on the bank now for clearance.

It really is the best life for kids to grow up with animals and lots of space to run around. That's really sad about bullet, they looked like such great friends. I'm sure it will get easier with the others once they all get used to each other, but I get what you're saying. Every time we get a new animal it takes months of frustration to teach the little one to handle them properly, but it's worth it in the end. Here she is taking care of one of the chicks that got sick Our landlord has a collie that's quite gentle and she comes over to play every afternoon, but my daughter is still a bit rough with her and keeps trying to pick her up. The cat even joins in sometimes :lol:
Stupid network... I replied and then I didn't see anything. Here we goes again. At least she get to get used to dogs. Adorable. Hope the chick heals soon. Nothing as bad as a sick chick that doesn't want to get better.

Hi there

I am from Cape Town, Southern Suburbs :)

Anyone in the same area?

I don't have chickens yet as i have just finished building my coop.

Not sure what breed to get. Anyone?

Hi, and
welcome-byc.gif

I live in George, but I have family in Cape Town so I'm there quite often. Are you looking to start with eggs, chicks or point of lay?

What breed to get depends on what you want them for and how much space you have. Are they going to be pets or are you getting them for eggs or meat?

HI Chameleon,

not wanting to Hijack from lisavan, but I am in the same position

I am very close to finishing a small chicken tractor and am looking for two birds, primary reason is for a constant supply of great quality eggs

I have access to point of lay rhode island reds but would consider other breeds

how do the RIR compare with local breeds in terms of how many years they will consistently lay eggs?

thanks

N

Last edited:
HI Chameleon,

not wanting to Hijack from lisavan, but I am in the same position

I am very close to finishing a small chicken tractor and am looking for two birds, primary reason is for a constant supply of great quality eggs

I have access to point of lay rhode island reds but would consider other breeds

how to the RIR compare with local breeds in terms of how many years they will consistently lay eggs?

thanks

N

Hi Jozi Neil,

I have never had any myself, but from some research I did when I was looking for laying chickens, I believe RIR are one of the best breeds for eggs. Of the local breeds, Potchefstroom Koekoeks are the best layers, but RIR lay better. As for the number of years that they will lay, that will depend a lot on the health of the chickens. If they are kept healthy and happy they will lay much more consistantly and for longer than sick or depressed hens.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your chickens. And also
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Welcome back :frow It's been quiet around here. And I've also been offline for a while because of all these fires around here.

It has been quiet here for quite awhile indeed. How has the fires been affecting you? I hope you are safe.

I also haven't been online for a while, because we are moving and I started a website and had my first few photoshoots. I had 2 friends with weddings in April. One on the first and the other on the last day of April.

I took advantage of the first wedding to take photos of the couple, even though they had a paid photographer. I edited a few of my shots and sent it to them. They were so impressed that they called me for a 're-shoot', because they 'paid R10k for their photographer and were very disappointed with the service they received and had to go to the person who recommended him to them and complain about him, before they got their photos'... I did the re-shoot and sent a few shots to the other friend who got married on the 30th.

The lady also had a photographer already, but was looking for someone to do their wedding video. She asked me. So, I borrowed a few cameras and did the video (and stole a few moments to take photos as well! hahaha). And they liked it so much, that they actually made a business proposal to me! I am still thinking about it though.

You can have a look at my website if you want to. Any feedback and tips are welcome.
https://brownswoodbees.wixsite.com/home

And then we got sad news. Apparently, the plot that we bought, is under quarantine, with parvo and distemper listed in the diseases. So, the guy there said we cannot take any dogs or cats there for a year. I spoke to a few vets about it and they said if I only get their vaccs up to date, there should be a very low risk. So, to be able to afford the vaccs, we had to sell our chickens. :hit

Someone came to fetch them this morning. It already feels so empty. The good thing about it though, is that we now have some more time to build a proper camp and coop on the new property, before we get new chickens. But I will miss Blikkies dearly. She really was our best hen.

What's news at your side?

Back
Top Bottom