Chicken Breeds in Books and Movies - Does anyone else do it?

Iceblink

Songster
12 Years
May 29, 2007
Deep in a snow drift, NE
Does anyone else stop and re-read book passages that mention chickens, or rewind movies that show chickens to try to figure out the breed? Am I alone in this?

Ok, while I'm asking, has anyone here read "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver? Can someone PLEASE tell me what kind of chickens Lily has? She obviously has Americaunas/Aracaunas/EE's because of the blue eggs, but what other breeds? I don't recall the exact description, but she mentions they lay well through winter, have broad breasts, and are dark?

Except for that one teasing section, it's an excelent book, Kingsolver divulges the breed of her turkeys, the types of pumpkins she grows, and her favorite kind of cheese to make. Why oh why couldn't she have just said the breeds of chickens? It realy shouldn't bug me so much, but...... it does.

I do that all the time! It annoys the &*%$ out of my sis when i pause one of her movies and rewind it to take a closer look at the hens in the background.

I do it with chickens, Skip and I are also bad about doing it everytime we see an orchid on tv...aquarium fish are another one...
gig.gif

Dawn

Yes, although I'm not very good at identifying breeds, one of my favorite books is Texas Gold. A story of a woman who leaves her husband and goes to Texas to make a life for herself. She has a flock of chickens that she gets eggs from and trades in town for things that she needs. A lot of description as to how she packages her eggs to carry on her horse, that she gets a broody hen to set on some eggs. Never says the breed though. Actually, that book had a lot to do with my decision to get chickens, as I hope one day to move to Texas.

Charm School by Susan Wiggs, has chickens in it that are on board the ship they are taking to South America. They eat the eggs on the way and usually would eat the chickens toward the end of the voyage, but the heroine won't let them because she has become attached to them. Great story - a cross between My Fair Lady and The Ugly Duckling.

I enjoy stories that have chickens in them. The Buccaneer with Charlston Heston and Yul Brener, has a scene where Heston has to move a couple chickens off his desk and he says we have more chickens than men. Great movie.

Has anyone noticed a trend about which breeds end up in movies or tv most often? It seems like there are rarely hens, almost always roosters. And they are really often white. Has anyone else noticed that?

Yeah, I've noticed that most chickens are shown as white. I think because the general public picture chickens as white. That's why the eggs in the stores are white, right? (ha, ha)

Drives my husband crazy too when I yell out to stop a movie (or the car) so I can look at the chickens.

We travel a lot on our job, and I am always looking for chickens in yards. One town south of San Antonio, Texas (Pearsall) has ferel chickens running all over the place. I love it when we have to go there.

I really enjoyed Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. She gets a little preachy sometimes, but I just skipped over those parts because for me, she was preaching to the choir. I've already given the book to 2 other people.

Kay

Back
Top Bottom