Chicken Buddies. :)

AnimalsComeFirst

Songster
8 Years
Jun 6, 2011
Hugging a Chicken

Gloria (far left), Abby (head poking out of the back), Nellie (laying down up front), Lucy (black hen) and Penny (far right)

Lucy (black australorp) looks up to Gloria (barred rock) She follows her around, mimics what she does and likes to stay by her side most the day. And who's a better hen to look up to than the all mighty Gloria? :D

Nellie and Penny, the 2 buff orpingtons. They'll often sit together and snuggle up on rainy days. :)

You've always got the best pictures and stories!
love.gif

Wow your chickens are PLUMP
lol.png

So cute. Have they molted yet?

Fat little things, they are. :D They seem to eat alot more when they know winter is coming up. They gotta have their "blubber" to keep them warm, LOL!
Yeah, we're finding feathers all over the yard, but I don't think they are in full moult yet. Mostly the feathers are golden, not barred or black, or golden laced yet. But it'll be happening soon!

Last edited:
Fat little things, they are.  :D  They seem to eat alot more when they know winter is coming up.  They gotta have their "blubber" to keep them warm, LOL!
Yeah, we're finding feathers all over the yard, but I don't think they are in full moult yet.  Mostly the feathers are golden, not barred or black, or golden laced yet.  But it'll be happening soon!
and Blubber they have :gig

Lucy is really big now. So much for the bantam thought :)

Everyone still laying? I can't wait to see Gloria in full molt. You better post her picture to the contest this year :D

and Blubber they have
gig.gif

Lucy is really big now. So much for the bantam thought
smile.png

Everyone still laying? I can't wait to see Gloria in full molt. You better post her picture to the contest this year
big_smile.png
Oh yeah, that thought got pushed aside. She was just a late bloomer, when it came to size. Now she's still the smallest of the flock, but she's normal size for her breed.
Yup, she usually looses all her feathers around her rear end.... not a pleasent sight, and must be awful cold to her, LOL!
I have a few special needs chickens. I wish you lived closer. They need a good home!
I do too! I would take them in a heartbeat. Whats their storys? When I get back from FL (we're leaving in a week, and staying 2 weeks down there) and get the new coop renovated, we have 2 special needs birds around us that need a new home. Blind ones. Anytime you're planning a vacation, come to massachusetts! :)
They're beautiful .......... how is Gloria's leg? I've been following your stories about Gloria ....... we have the same name. LOL
Much, much better. We have been applying blu-cote everyday to it to keep it clean, atleast until the first snow (we'd have blue snow, LOL!). Then we'll wait and see how her leg fairs without the blu-cote. She still limps, she must of got stepped on by a horse, or something happened when she was young and it will probably never heal. :( But we're doing everything we can for her, feeding her plenty of treats to keep her nice and plump, and letting her live a relaxed life w/ her chicken-sister, Penny.

Oh yeah, that thought got pushed aside.  She was just a late bloomer, when it came to size.  Now she's still the smallest of the flock, but she's normal size for her breed.
Yup, she usually looses all her feathers around her rear end.... not a pleasent sight, and must be awful cold to her, LOL!
I do too!  I would take them in a heartbeat.  Whats their storys?  When I get back from FL (we're leaving in a week, and staying 2 weeks down there) and get the new coop renovated, we have 2 special needs birds around us that need a new home.  Blind ones.  Anytime you're planning a vacation, come to massachusetts!  :)
Much, much better.  We have been applying blu-cote everyday to it to keep it clean, atleast until the first snow (we'd have blue snow, LOL!).  Then we'll wait and see how her leg fairs without the blu-cote.   She still limps, she must of got stepped on by a horse, or something happened when she was young and it will probably never heal.  :(  But we're doing everything we can for her, feeding her plenty of treats to keep her nice and plump, and letting her live a relaxed life w/ her chicken-sister, Penny.
I have a little silkie with a leg issue, it's a bit splayed, but she gets around. Not as fast, but she manages. I also have an Easter Egger who has scissor beak. He/she also had splayed leg as a chick, but we corrected that. Now the beak is all crazy and we call him/her (still not sure about that) Edward Scissor Beak. I also had a barred rock with wry tail (kind of like Sophia did, but not as severe).

We have a few twisted toes as well. My humidity was too low a few times and it affects them like that :(

Back
Top Bottom