Chicken Butt šŸ˜…

georgia_wife

In the Brooder
May 13, 2023
Help! Iā€™m trying to figure out what happened. We have 4 hens and a roo. The other ladies are fine but Ms Dolly Parton here seems to be having an issue. I see no evidence of pests, and even weirder I canā€™t find the feathers!! I gave her an epsom salt soak, let her dry, and now sheā€™s separated from the flock. Iā€™m assuming itā€™s my roo messing with her but maybe Iā€™m wrong? What should I do?

Attachments

• IMG_2257.jpeg
    IMG_2257.jpeg
    450.4 KB · Views: 15
It looks like she's being feather picked, they are probably eating the feathers. I also see what looks like some bruising and small wounds (the dark spots). It may be happening on the roosts, that is often where bare butts happen. If blood is drawn it will attract more pecking and injury then can be severe. Do some observing, see if you can figure out what's going on. You may have a bully, or you may need more space. Sometimes rearranging the roosts can help. The feathers may not fill in until she molts.

You can purchase Nu-Stock at a feed store and apply it to the effected area. Shake the tube well before applying it and wear disposable gloves. It will heal the area and prevent picking and pecking.
thnustock.jpg

Back
Top Bottom