Chicken Buyers Remorse

I would second that! The free chick from Murray McMurray was a small cute cockerel (Sultan) -- never again! The 1/2 Sultan, 1/2 Orpingtons were so cute the kids could not bear to eat them, too small to eat any way. Let the broody Orp in the yard with cute Sultan, resulting in 10 chicks, 7 of which were those cute but useless little roosters!:he Not keeping the free chick if I order from them again . . . kids are grown now.
I agree, NEVER accept the free or "mystery" chick from the hatcheries. 😊

I meant I thought Dylan was a boys name!
She was a boy when I bought her! Craig's List seller said she was a 9 year old male. When I got to know Dylan better, so I could read her leg band, I found out she was hatched in '94. Later, she laid an egg. Lesson, do not believe what guys on CL tell you! But, I have been calling her Dylan since I got her, and she says her name is Dylan, so Dylan can be a girl parrot's name, LOL! She says, "Good Boy", too:confused:

Um, sounds like everyone is making these statements based on very small numbers of birds of those types? Like saying you don't like a specific make/model of car because one had muffler issues... I live in a cold climate, and the Leghorn and Minorca I have are the first ones out in the snow every day (and still lay eggs daily), even though they are not supposed to be cold tolerant. I'm glad I've got exceptions to the "rules".

This may not actually be the case, these folk may all be citing specific examples with lots of data to back up their statements.
This is basically an opinion thread. You're gonna get that kind of thing, because getting 'buyer's remorse' is very subjective. Most people can't keep buying chickens if they get bad experiences and hoping for the best.

For me it would be easier to say which are my favorite breeds because I have raised almost every breed known to man lol. First I love my Ameraucana's from Cackle. They are laid back and friendly, and the black lay deep blue eggs, the lavenders laid green consistently, the offspring from those lay olive eggs. IDK why but I get pretty hens and pretty eggs. Next is my Mottled Java, which are gorgeous and big and friendly. I just love them. Someone gave me two little leghorns that crack me up. I still can't figure out how those little things lay such ginormous eggs! They are lefty and righty which explains their comb angle lol. And I love my Speckled Sussex. They are gorgeous, friendly, curious, and I love them! I wish I could keep more, but these breeds never quit laying this winter. I have never had that happen. So we get an average of 4 to 12 eggs every day and it's just the two of us. So we give them away to neighbors. I plan on crossing my Java rooster (Arnold Schwarzenpecker, who is huge) over the Sussex and Leghorns this year. my Java's hens get very broody, and so do my Ameraucana's.

Past favorites I wish I had more room for are Buff Orpingtons and Deleware. Sweet natured but not total dingbats, and good layers.

Past breeds I will never have again are first and foremost Silkies. I paid a lot of money for show quality Silkies, and they were gorgeous. But in all my years and all my breeds they died left and right no matter what I did. It was horrible, so the few remaining I gave away to 4-H kids. I also did not like the Brahma's, Barred rocks, Wyandottes, and many others that laid poorly or were mean and flighty and this included splash Ameraucana's.

I ordered meat birds this year from Murray McMurray hatchery for the first time and I ended up with what I think is a black Cochin surprise chick. Hope it's not a rooster lol.

I guess I don't really have 'remorse' so to speak. I have preferences based on my experiences. Won't get production breeds anymore, have lost too many to reproductive issues. But even those that I wouldn't consider desirable, I have learned from, so not a lost cause. I bought 3 speckled sussex last year, two remain, they are the biggest dingbats I've ever had out of the breeds I've had. Certainly not a scientific conclusion..... but I'll think twice about getting more.

People are putting up lists of chicken breeds they want I wanted to get peoples opinions of breeds they may have been excited about, but now they are over it.

I have 2 blue andelusians. One I like, she is blue. One is a splash. I am not crazy about the splash. I am not going to rehome anyone. but I think I am done with the BA.

I also have AC. They are pretty and I would never give them up. But as far as buying more, I don't think I will. Their eggs are small and they are so busy brooding they have not time for eggs.
View attachment 2532292

My birds are just for pets though.

Which chickens do you think you are no longer interested in and why?
Delaware. Loud and bullies.

Back
Top Bottom