Chicken Buyers Remorse

Pics

gimmie birdies

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Feb 12, 2013
Eastern WA
People are putting up lists of chicken breeds they want I wanted to get peoples opinions of breeds they may have been excited about, but now they are over it.

I have 2 blue andelusians. One I like, she is blue. One is a splash. I am not crazy about the splash. I am not going to rehome anyone. but I think I am done with the BA.

I also have AC. They are pretty and I would never give them up. But as far as buying more, I don't think I will. Their eggs are small and they are so busy brooding they have not time for eggs.
ayaa.PNG

My birds are just for pets though.

Which chickens do you think you are no longer interested in and why?

I do not have enough experience or enough chickens to have buyers remorse yet.

We currently have Amberlinks, what we were told were RIR, but are low quality high production reds, barred rock and easter egger roosters. We are currently giving away two of our easter eggers (I sat out and talked to them and am so sad about it, but there are too many roos to hens).

The lady we are giving the Easter Egger roosters too is giving us one of her young, just started laying, pullets in exchange (I didn't ask for it, she just wanted to because she said she felt like she was getting something she needed for nothing and it didn't feel right to her). I don't know what she will be yet.

We are getting Amerucaunas pullets (did I put the "u"s in the right places?) from a local hatchery in May and day old olive egger chicks then as well.

We have decided to double our run and add a 4x8 house on the other end of it for additional birds and a storage space that will double as a quarantine area! I fought my husband for years on getting chickens. I didn't think I would like it, but I love my birds and I can't stay off of these forums.

I started talking to him yesterday about hatching eggs next year. What are you all doing to me?? 🤣

I have no buyer's remorse over having a few Brahmas -- because I consider them the most beautiful of all chickens.

However, my head knows that I need to have most of the flock be more practical breeds so I will not have another Brahma rooster because I cannot have slow growth, late development, and moderate egg-laying as the genetics for half my flock ongoing.

I love Faverolles as they're smart, winter hardy, solid layers, good foragers, have lots of personality and amusing antics. The roosters are beautiful and generally pretty chill. At least mine are.

However, I will never have another one because I hate their feathered feet. The skin around the feather shafts is swollen and irritated in wetter months and during a molt. Plus, the feathers only look good in the winter when their in the dry coop, but because the little nerds don't go outside, they don't get to walk to poop off. And if they do go outside, they get snowballs. It's just too much for me to want to deal with so I probably won't have any feather footed breeds again.

Dark Brahma.

Don't get me wrong. I love my Dark Brahma, they are hands down my smartest free ranging birds. There's a lot to like about my dark brahma, and their pattern is one I find particularly attractive as well.

But if you look to the left, you will see I'm in North Florida. The Brahma is not well suited to high heat - its the lack of comb. Nor are they well suited to muddy - its the feathered feet. They aren't efficient layers - took about 7 months, eggs are medium to medium large, and somewhere between every other day and two days out of three. Neither do they bulk up fast, so not great as meat birds - though they eventually get very big, the feed conversion has to be one of the worst in the poultry world.

So, for my needs? Never again.

But I am using them in my breeding project in hopes of getting some of their size, and the lacing, as well as lightening the egg color of my other layers. Would be nice if their offspring keep some of their predator awareness, as well.

For others, they may be just the thing.

Production Reds, while they're not exactly a breed, I'm done raising them. They suited my needs just fine for years, but I'm a softy and I get attached to my birds. My red shavers go young, reproduction issues galore, my golden comets are some of my favorites with super personalities, but they have the same issue.
Polish! My polish were a disaster, super frail and only one made it to full growth and he was a dud, total brainless spastic nut job, as pretty as he was, I won't make the mistake of trying that breed again.

Back
Top Bottom