Chicken Buyers Remorse

Production Reds, while they're not exactly a breed, I'm done raising them. They suited my needs just fine for years, but I'm a softy and I get attached to my birds. My red shavers go young, reproduction issues galore, my golden comets are some of my favorites with super personalities, but they have the same issue.
Polish! My polish were a disaster, super frail and only one made it to full growth and he was a dud, total brainless spastic nut job, as pretty as he was, I won't make the mistake of trying that breed again.

I don't have any buyer's remorse over any breeds, but I ordered a "white layer assortment" and was sent a Polish. Don't get me wrong, my Polish girl Poppy is everyone's favorite chicken. She is curious, sweet, lets you hold her. She is all-around a well-loved chicken. However I have my laying chickens for practical reasons first and pets second. This little gal lays an egg like twice a week and the last one I weighed was a meager 36 grams! I'll never request a white layer assortment again!

I've had cochins too, and as sweet and silly as they were, they were poor layers and not heat tolerant, so I'll never seek them out either. I still enjoyed them in my flock!

Last edited:
I love Faverolles as they're smart, winter hardy, solid layers, good foragers, have lots of personality and amusing antics. The roosters are beautiful and generally pretty chill. At least mine are.

However, I will never have another one because I hate their feathered feet. The skin around the feather shafts is swollen and irritated in wetter months and during a molt. Plus, the feathers only look good in the winter when their in the dry coop, but because the little nerds don't go outside, they don't get to walk to poop off. And if they do go outside, they get snowballs. It's just too much for me to want to deal with so I probably won't have any feather footed breeds again.

I love Faverolles as they're smart, winter hardy, solid layers, good foragers, have lots of personality and amusing antics. The roosters are beautiful and generally pretty chill. At least mine are.

However, I will never have another one because I hate their feathered feet. The skin around the feather shafts is swollen and irritated in wetter months and during a molt. Plus, the feathers only look good in the winter when their in the dry coop, but because the little nerds don't go outside, they don't get to walk to poop off. And if they do go outside, they get snowballs. It's just too much for me to want to deal with so I probably won't have any feather footed breeds again.
I noticed this with my cochin's feet too. I have brahmas and marans and their feathered feet are more sparse and not nearly as long. They haven't had the same issues.

Hmmm.... Wondering if it is the personality of the particular bird you don't like and not the breed? I have Orpingtons and Blue Andalusians. My birds of these breeds are not mean, dumb, or unfriendly. My Orpingtons lay regularly and I have a couple who become broody each summer. My Andalusians are still young and haven't started laying yet but should in the next month. I don't have any reason to suspect they will be different....

I don't have any buyer's remorse over any breeds, but I ordered a "white layer assortment" and was sent a Polish. Don't get me wrong, my Polish girl Poppy is everyone's favorite chicken. She is curious, sweet, lets you hold her. She is all-around a well-loved chicken. However I have my laying chickens for practical reasons first and pets second. This little gal lays an egg like twice a week and the last one I weighed was a meager 36 grams! I'll never request a white layer assortment again!

I've had cochins too, and as sweet and silly as they were, they were poor layers and not heat tolerant, so I'll never seek them out either. I still enjoyed them in my flock!
I do admit that this is the reason I have not ordered an assortment and paid more per bird for breeds I wanted.

I do admit that this is the reason I have not ordered an assortment and paid more per bird for breeds I wanted.
Yep. That’s a great reason. I buy mine from Meyer hatchery and they do offer a “production pack” assortment to ensure you wouldn’t get a breed like a Polish though.

Back
Top Bottom