Chicken Buyers Remorse

I do not have enough experience or enough chickens to have buyers remorse yet.

We currently have Amberlinks, what we were told were RIR, but are low quality high production reds, barred rock and easter egger roosters. We are currently giving away two of our easter eggers (I sat out and talked to them and am so sad about it, but there are too many roos to hens).

The lady we are giving the Easter Egger roosters too is giving us one of her young, just started laying, pullets in exchange (I didn't ask for it, she just wanted to because she said she felt like she was getting something she needed for nothing and it didn't feel right to her). I don't know what she will be yet.

We are getting Amerucaunas pullets (did I put the "u"s in the right places?) from a local hatchery in May and day old olive egger chicks then as well.

We have decided to double our run and add a 4x8 house on the other end of it for additional birds and a storage space that will double as a quarantine area! I fought my husband for years on getting chickens. I didn't think I would like it, but I love my birds and I can't stay off of these forums.

I started talking to him yesterday about hatching eggs next year. What are you all doing to me?? 🤣
Welcome to the dark side! LOL

I do not have enough experience or enough chickens to have buyers remorse yet.

We currently have Amberlinks, what we were told were RIR, but are low quality high production reds, barred rock and easter egger roosters. We are currently giving away two of our easter eggers (I sat out and talked to them and am so sad about it, but there are too many roos to hens).

The lady we are giving the Easter Egger roosters too is giving us one of her young, just started laying, pullets in exchange (I didn't ask for it, she just wanted to because she said she felt like she was getting something she needed for nothing and it didn't feel right to her). I don't know what she will be yet.

We are getting Amerucaunas pullets (did I put the "u"s in the right places?) from a local hatchery in May and day old olive egger chicks then as well.

We have decided to double our run and add a 4x8 house on the other end of it for additional birds and a storage space that will double as a quarantine area! I fought my husband for years on getting chickens. I didn't think I would like it, but I love my birds and I can't stay off of these forums.

I started talking to him yesterday about hatching eggs next year. What are you all doing to me?? 🤣
Welcome to the dark side! LOL

Definitely had buyers remorse over my fayoumis. They’re gorgeous and great foragers but the roosters harassed everyone and crowed incessantly with their screechy high pitch voices.

Wouldn’t do silkies again unless they were just kids pets. They were adorable but really not too bright.

Dark Brown leghorns. BEAUTIFUL!!! Got them from a breeder, listed as “Exhibition quality” and they were. Beautiful and perfect!

However,

the males matured very fast and hit puberty at 100mph. One (of two males), became lead quickly. They crowed loudly, they crowed often. We got rid of the males at 5 months. That left 3 females. The head cockerel (a BA) HATED these girls...kept them all from eating, so we added more food stations. Would March at the pop door (actually March back and forth!) to either keep them inside the coop or outside the coop, depending on time of day. Would randomly chase them in the run (a large 500sq ft run with visual obstructions), just to chase them away, not to mate them. And, these females took forever to lay their first eggs. They hatched in February, and took 36 weeks for first one to lay, next was 44 weeks, and third hadn’t laid a single egg by the time we sold them at 45 weeks old.

yeah, beautiful, but not for our flock.

We bought Wyandotts, 10 hens and 1 rooster. We live in middle Tennessee. They lay large very clean eggs. I get about 7 eggs daily. We let them free range. They get along great with our 2 australian shepherds, 3 barn cats and 2 horses. They are a dual breed and are heat and cold tolerant for our area. We love them and totally entertained.

We bought Wyandotts, 10 hens and 1 rooster. We live in middle Tennessee. They lay large very clean eggs. I get about 7 eggs daily. We let them free range. They get along great with our 2 australian shepherds, 3 barn cats and 2 horses. They are a dual breed and are heat and cold tolerant for our area. We love them and totally entertained.
I think the OP is looking for breeds or chickens you have remorse for buying/wouldn't buy again.

Back
Top Bottom