Chicken Calculator Thread

Habibs Hens

Cream Legbar Keeper
7 Years
Mar 31, 2012
London, UK
My Coop
My Coop
I decided to start this thread to help with how to use the Chicken Calculator on this site

http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.htm...Db&fgt=E:E^Wh/E^Wh,Mh:Mh/Mh,Co:Co/Co,Db:Db/Db

Made by Henk69

its over me but would love to learn how to use it

and get explained on the terms like Extended Black for example

the difference between dominant and recessive and who you determine what is what

and things like Lavender and self blue

oh and unicolour

to start with im confused on how to make up a breed that is not a standard list

like the French Marans, Legbar, and some odd ones like the Columbian Black Tail, another im confused about is the Speckledy

would be greta to use this thread to help other answer questions and keep it all in one place as a point of reference

Thanks

Last edited:
unicolor means one color like solid or self. All these words are not foolproof for anyone to understand though. For example: a unicolor blue and a self blue are not the same, are they? Solid could mean not-pied etcetera. But I am not fully happy with the unicolor word.
Normally a chicken has a groundcolor (silver-cream-gold-red) with a black pattern on it. That would be a bicolor chicken. So when the groundcolor is not visible it is one color less. Ditto when the black is missing (buff)

Extended Black is a mutation that causes the chicken to have a lot more black areas. The females become unicolor/solid/self, but the males still show groundcolor on hackle, shoulder and saddle when certain other genes are missing. But since these genes are often not known this groundcolor leakage effect is not shown in the pictures; there is a footnote though.

Don't worry about dominant and recessive, the calculator does that for you. If you were referring to recessive white and dominant white I could elaborate.

Standby for further questions.

unicolor means one color like solid or self. All these words are not foolproof for anyone to understand though. For example: a unicolor blue and a self blue are not the same, are they? Solid could mean not-pied etcetera. But I am not fully happy with the unicolor word.
Normally a chicken has a groundcolor (silver-cream-gold-red) with a black pattern on it. That would be a bicolor chicken. So when the groundcolor is not visible it is one color less. Ditto when the black is missing (buff)

Extended Black is a mutation that causes the chicken to have a lot more black areas. The females become unicolor/solid/self, but the males still show groundcolor on hackle, shoulder and saddle when certain other genes are missing. But since these genes are often not known this groundcolor leakage effect is not shown in the pictures; there is a footnote though.

Don't worry about dominant and recessive, the calculator does that for you. If you were referring to recessive white and dominant white I could elaborate.

Standby for further questions.

oh yes more questions and your explanation has opened up my mind so much but loads to learn still

yes I was referring to White

the table shows 3 option white, white Recessive and white dominant

what's the difference and how do I determine which my chickens are

when you explain the unicolour I was still confused until you mentioned the word Bicolour then it hit me

Italian for 1 is uno so that's unicolour and bi it pretty much universal for 2 so that's bicolour

thank you for explaining about base colours that's helped so basically like a canvas painting that gets a coat of base colour before the painting starts and the presence or lack of presence

would an example of extended black be my white chicks that have black spot leakage

Recessive white turns the entire chicken white. No black flecks. A lot of breeds have a recessive white variety/color.

Dominant white only turns the black areas of the chicken white, so for a unicolor white chicken you need a unicolor black base. Extended black would help to create that.
With dominant white you can get effects like a red chicken with white lacing. Dom white is leaky, especially in heterozygous/impure state, causing black flecks. But sometimes heterozygous dom.white is pretty spotless.
White leghorn is a common source of dom.white.

Then for exhibition white, sometimes both whites are in the mix and other genes like andalusian blue, sexlinked barring, mottled are added.
Silver groundcolor would help also.

Henk can I get your expertise once more please

I have some Warrens and Columbian Blacktail

They are Sexlink and are the same as RSL in a sense

Now I used your Chart to do some calculations

The Blacktails are RIR x Light Sussex (Columbia)

So I chose Red Unicolour x Columbia

I got exactly what was supposed to be. a red hen and Silver Roo

so I clicked continue with this pullet and added a Lavender Roo (my Lav Araucana)

The result was All black Chickens

Now I have hatched black Chicken YES

but I have also hatched White Chicken

so why is the chart not showing the white chicken?????

RIR are not unicolour but blacktail eg E^Wh Co Mh.

Sounds like a recessive white popping up, but that is not common in RIR and sussex.
after I made this post

missus called me for dinner

I always think better on a full stomach and its true

brain works better when its full

I think the LAV Araucana has white in it somewhere

The Breder I got my LAV from also has Whites

what do you think

also you say RIR is not RED Unicolour

can you tell me which option I use for RIR

oh and also which LEV gene do I use for my Roo in the list

Thanks

Last edited:
I just realised something as I was looking at your calculator

BTW I found the RIR

and also realised

I have some ISA Browns

they will give White offspring

when LAV is Crossed with ISA

I have some ISA Browns

they will give White offspring

when LAV is Crossed with ISA
thats Because ISA are eWh/eWh(Wheaten) I/i+?(dominant White, could be homozygous or heterozygous) and Co(for Columbian)

Self Lavender birds carry the following genetic make up. E/E(Extended Black, which gives the self black background) i+/i+(none dominant white) lav/lav (recessive lavender)

the Cross will produce. E/eWh(Extended Black is dominant over wheaten) I/i+(dominant white) Lav+/lav(none lavender) this bird will be Heterozygous all white, with some black or color leaking thru when adult, but will be all withe when chick(with some black dots)

Back
Top Bottom