Chicken calculus??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by HHandbasket, May 20, 2011.

1. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

So how the deuces did THIS happen?

We have at present, including the chicks we hatched a month ago, 31 chickens.

I have 16 eggs in one incubator going into lockdown tomorrow. I have a broody hen that has been sitting on 11 eggs for 4 days (started out as 7 eggs but she's continued to lay, and I have seen the rooster "fertilize" her so I know they're good and fertile). I just received another 18 shipped eggs today that we are setting tomorrow.

How did this venture for 2-3 hens last year on Memorial Day weekend turn into.... THIS?

Dang, I knew I had chicken math disease bad when I realized we were up to 7 hens... now I think 7 is just not enough! Hahaha... and now that we live where we can have roosters, it's only gonna get worse. But I think I won't have to buy any more hatching eggs after this.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  2. bt03

bt03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Over the rainbow...
    According to my chicken math you need more chickens. See roosters don't count because you only really need one, chickens that are less than laying age don't count because they don't lay so are therefore useless but for lawn ornaments, broody chickens don't count when they stop laying because they don't do anything except sit on eggs and well of course no eggs count because all they do is cause you stress. So are you sure you have 31 chickens? Maybe your math is off and you need a few more [​IMG]

3. julie75

julie75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with bt03. You need to rework the problem.

4. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    What is so interesting about chicken math, no matter what formula or math venue used you always get the right equation no matter if you are high or low on the number of birds you add to the flock.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

6. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

... How'd you come up with THAT answer? Cannot compute! Try again! THe right answer is waaaaaaaaaaay higher.

7. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm still trying to figure out one thing .....what's the problem?
    [​IMG]

8. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    CRAP! I'm barely making it through chicken math & you wanna tell me NOW that the next step is chicken calculus??? [​IMG]

9. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Well, needless to say, I'm gonna have a boatload of chicks for sale real soon. LOL.

We go into lockdown this afternoon, but the rapture is supposed to come around 6 p.m. so I'm not sure if I'm gonna be here to see my banties hatch on Tuesday. LOL!

10. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Quote:You have to pass Chicken Geometry, Chicken Algebra and Chicken Trig before you can start on Chicken Calculus. For those of us who are more Liberal Arts minded, there's also Chicken Statistics. Mmmmm. Pie charts!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by