chicken cam?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SparksNV, Dec 10, 2010.

1. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    Got the grocery flyer from Save Mart (formerly Albertson's) and they are now carrying "Comfort Coop" Eggs. The add states:

"We are proud to introduce California Fresh Eggs from the Nation's First Enriched Colony Barn. THE HENS COME FIRST! The hens live in a new American Humane Association approved Enriched Colony Barn that allows them the opportunity to experience natural behaviors like nesting in a private area, flapping their wings, stretching, scratching and perching all in a very safe, clean, comfortable environment."

www.comfortcoopeggs.com

you can click on the "watch" button and see the hens live.

The add listed the price ast $2.29 Large GradeAA Comfort Coop Eggs 1 dozen

What do ya'll think of this?

2. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Thanks for this site, It was great to see them with much more room than a normal commercial producer. I really enjoyed watching them, they all seems pretty happy!

3. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    I'm new and don't know anything about commercial egg production but that looked like pretty close quarters to me. I have seen pics of regular farms where there is no room but this doesn't seem like it is vastly different from what is usually done. If I'm wrong and I hope I am all I can say is leave it to CA to come up with the most progressive processes. I believe they passed a bill to improve the lot of many factory farm animals a year or so ago. Hope it catches on in the rest of the country.

4. kristim23

kristim23 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2010
    Did I miss something? [​IMG] Private nesting areas? Perching? Scratching? Where does all this happen? This really doesn't seem that far removed from the "norm" is as far as commercial...

I was kind of curious as to how they could possibly profit, beings that 2.29 isn't that much more than what I pay at the store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by