Chickens Not Laying/ eating own eggs & Rooster tearing out feathers of hens

pattypansmiles

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2021
I've got problems!!!
So Ive had my same little 8 hen and 1 rooster flock for about 9 months. They were laying great- atleast 5 eggs/day. I made them a better coop ( they had been in a tractor all day- would roost at night and be out for an hour or 2 in the evening). I understand that the stress of switching coops may have caused some stress but yesterday when i checked for eggs there were none, also none the day before. I did find yolk in a nest box.....
I am going to add more hardware wire to the exterior of the barn so they have access to more space and sunlight....but WHAT ELSE? I guess i need to put a game cam in and see WHO is eating the eggs????
They do like to get eggshells out of the compost bin and eat those but their own eggs!?!?!
ALSO- my rooster is pulling out the feather of my girls when he mounts them. I got them saddles but WHAT ELSE? I dont want to cull him. he is a great protector and ensures everyone is well fed- which is really sweet....
first time chicken mama and i have 11 pullets so i really dont want to make any mistakes with this hens....and then bad habits with the pullets once they are combined.....

There new space is a standard barn stall....not sure of dimensions but MUCH bigger than before. BUT before they were out in the run of their tractor all day and would roost at night. Now they dont have access to grass and bugs and lots of sunshine. I think they're mad.
I will try the dishsoap trick!
thanks!

how do i get the mustard back in the egg shell?
dilute it??
ive only blown eggs out. not put anything back in.

I bought a large dog kennel for my rooster for this reason. He's rough on the girls during mating, and they're going bald, but I also didn't want to get rid of him, so he'll just have separate quarters for now.

how do i get the mustard back in the egg shell?
dilute it??
ive only blown eggs out. not put anything back in.
The nozzle on the mustard can fit pretty good if you cut the tip of the egg a bit. I've found that if they can see the yellow, they are much more drawn to the egg. My own experience with my flock, someone else may have a different way.

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you? Climate matters and knowing your general location can help us provide better-targeted advice.

BUT before they were out in the run of their tractor all day and would roost at night. Now they dont have access to grass and bugs and lots of sunshine. I think they're mad.

"Mad" may not be the right word, but they are having their instincts frustrated and may be bored. Are they closed in because of the Avian Flu threat?

Photos of your setup?

Back
Top Bottom