chicken can't keep her butt down

getreal

Songster
9 Years
May 9, 2014
Upper Peninsula of MI
my silkie chicken has/had wry neck. I've nursed her back to where she can stand/sit in one place. if I sit her up she will slowly sink down to where her neck crop area is on the floor and her butt is up in the air. she still can't walk. I've tried a sling but she freaks out. I thought of something like a crop bra to bring her front part up. I don't know anything about pressure on the crop or anything. does someone have any ideas I could try?

my silkie chicken has/had wry neck. I've nursed her back to where she can stand/sit in one place. if I sit her up she will slowly sink down to where her neck crop area is on the floor and her butt is up in the air. she still can't walk. I've tried a sling but she freaks out. I thought of something like a crop bra to bring her front part up. I don't know anything about pressure on the crop or anything. does someone have any ideas I could try?
Have you tried vitamins with minerals that contain selenium? Eggs, tuna, and sunflower kernels contain selenium, and only a little will help. There are quite a few versions of slings and chairs, and you can roll up towels and try to position her as well. That position may be more comfortable for her.

7205_bird_chairsling.jpg

LL
LL

Here are some examples:

59765_pp.jpg

Last edited:
thank you. I am giving her vitamin E and selenium and vitamin B12 mixed in her pellets. and probiotic in her water. when it started she was laying upside down. I fed her with an eyedropper so she has come a long way. she can now stand on her legs, and stay upright most of the time. the problem is her butt is in the air and her head is down and her chest is on the floor. I'm afraid this will cause permanent damage to her neck. I have tried a sling and she freaks out.she just thrashes around until she gets her legs and feet out.I'm trying to think of something that will hold her chest up. I thought of a crop bra (sort of) but I don't know if that will cause a problem with her digestion.

I rigged up a chair something like the first pic you posted. she is trying to stand more now and can eat when she wants. she loves being able to watch everything going on. it's not fancy, just parts we had laying around. we didn't glue it together so we can make it bigger if we need to.

thank you. I am giving her vitamin E and selenium and vitamin B12 mixed in her pellets. and probiotic in her water. when it started she was laying upside down. I fed her with an eyedropper so she has come a long way. she can now stand on her legs, and stay upright most of the time. the problem is her butt is in the air and her head is down and her chest is on the floor. I'm afraid this will cause permanent damage to her neck. I have tried a sling and she freaks out.she just thrashes around until she gets her legs and feet out.I'm trying to think of something that will hold her chest up. I thought of a crop bra (sort of) but I don't know if that will cause a problem with her digestion.
Have you seen the post of the fella in I think UK who has put a toilet paper roll on the neck of his chicken. Her neck continued to fall down between her legs so he put the
toilet paper roll cut to size so he could keep his neck straight. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1066012/twisted-upside-down-head-and-chest-pecking/10

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom