Chicken can't stand

Jfab

Chirping
Jul 4, 2017
I have 3 year old comet hen. She eats and drinks but has been losing her balance and laying around a lot. She has also developed diarrhea. She had a pale comb so the vet said to give her geritol. The comb has regained it's color. He told me to give her a worm treatment which I did. Yesterday she just laid there for quite some time unable to get up and her poop was liquid and green. The vet said to give an antibiotic. I did that. Today she has gone from standing and eating to laying down unable to get up but she is still eating since the food is by her head. Her poop is yellow liquid with white stringy looking stuff and small black particles. She is very sleepy. In addition to the geritol for several days she has been given probiotics, electrolytes, and starting last night anitbiotics. Does anyone have a clue what I can do to help her?

Perhaps her issue is with iron toxicity. Poultry exposure to iron shouldn't be higher than .3mg. Geritol is between 9mg and 18mg.

Your vet appears not to understand poultry needs.

Does anyone have a clue what I can do to help her?
Sorry your hen is having issues. :(

So did the vet run a fecal float to test for worm type or load before suggesting that you throw unknown fixes at an already ailing hen that might mask symptoms of the root cause for her condition?

Sounds very much like your hen is facing reproductive disorder of some type. Possibly internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, ascites, cancerous tumors, organ failure, or other. Prognosis is poor just due to age and breed alone. :hmm But let's see if there IS anything at all that we can do to help.. Please pick her up and give her a good once over... is her abdomen swollen, what is the color of the skin around the vent and the condition of the feathers there? What is her usual feed including treats and supplements? When was the last time she laid an egg? You say she is still eating but not passing normal droppings.. Is she also still drinking?

If her appetite is good then her crop may be functioning fine. If there is reduced appetite then I would definitely check in the morning before food and water to see if it's fully emptying over night.

What is geritol.. a human vitamin? Is this vet familiar with avian health at all? Are you in the US? Please add your general location to your profile as it can help folks make their best suggestions possible at a glance.

Did you see ANY worms in poo before or after worming? What did you worm with?

You describe her definitely as lethargic.. which is indicative of more than a possible foot or leg injury. But have you looked her legs and feet over for any kind of bruises, cuts, swelling, or heat that might indicate an infection?

What antibiotic did you start last night? Is she staying out with the flock or have you separated her already? Is your electrolytes a packet one?

All my questions and suggestions are only meant as helpful not judgmental. There are no wrong answers.

Hope she recovers quickly! :fl

He said she was anemic and to give 2 ml of geritol daily. The color did come back to the comb and wattle after that. She doesn't appear to be hurt and was walking fine but slow until yesterday. The electrolytes are in a packet I mix with water. He told me yesterday to give the antibiotic doxicycline to her. She has been eating laying mash from farmers supply and for treats bread, fresh cherries, and peach slices. He said she needed more protein so I've been giving her a scrambled egg for breakfast. I was told I didn't have to separate her because he didn't think it was contagious but she has been separated since yesterday morning. I just found out this type of chicken has a short life expectancy so I don't know if it's age related or an illness.

Perhaps her issue is with iron toxicity. Poultry exposure to iron shouldn't be higher than .3mg. Geritol is between 9mg and 18mg.

Your vet appears not to understand poultry needs.
He thought she was anemic due to her pale comb so he had me start giving her a small dose of this and the color did come back afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom