Chicken cant walk: dark scab/growth on foot

Floralmay

Hatching
May 21, 2017
Hi all,
I've been lurking on this site for a while but just joined now as I can't find any information that may identify what's wrong with my chickens foot.

18641525_1363354160378687_101947202_o.jpg

Haggie is an Isa brown we adopted around 4 - 6 years ago, not sure how old she was at the time. We had been treating her and our 3 other babies for scaly leg mites when we noticed the scab/growth. At first we thought it was mud, but it got worse. She was limping, now she can barely walk on it. We've tried giving her foot a gentle wash to remove excess mud, soften the skin and make it easier for her to peck off (if it was a scab), as well as spraying it with oil to soften further and suffocate any mites, which we thought could be the cause.

She smelt pretty bad for a bit, and we thought it might be infected, but it's not so bad now. As far as we know she is eating and drinking fine - they roam around the backyard in the day and sleep in a small coop at night. There is a roost, but she doesn't use it - presumably because of her leg. When out and about she now hops only when necessary, I'm not sure if she's in pain or if the foot is just too big to walk properly on.

Any help or advice would be really appreciated - we just want to help her get back to normal :(

Side note: she has always had the long toenail.

That's a pretty bad looking foot. I believe the black stuff is dead tissue, looks similar to frostbite damage. Your best course would be to find a vet. Otherwise I personally would cull because that looks quite painful. How does she act otherwise? Does she walk on it?

Hi @Floralmay

Can you take her to a vet?

That does not look good. Soak the foot in warm soapy water and scrub off the dirt and debris. When you do this, post an updated photo.

It's hard to tell if it's ointment on the foot or if I see pus. The foot looks to be badly infected by the photo you have.

Once you have cleaned it well. Re-soak in epsom salts, betadine or Chlorhexidine. To help start some healing. If infected you will most likely need antibiotic treatment, so consulting your vet would be best.

I do not see much hope for recovery with this awful infection and she is probably in pain.
Besure and wear plastic gloves when doctoring or holding her.
As that kind of infection can cross over to any break In your skin.
Also wash the clothes you wear when handing her.
It could be cancerous.

Thanks everyone for the advice, we are taking her to the vet tomorrow. She isn't walking on it at all anymore unless necessary - so it worsened since I posted. Hoping for the best but I'm not expecting it. Will post again after vet appointment.

The vet soaked, peeled and pushed all the dead skin and mud off. It was infected, and probably started off as a cut in a fold of the foot. We could have isolated her somewhere with a concrete floor and treated her with antibiotics for about a month while soaking the foot every day, but we live in a rental property with no shed so we couldn't have done so. She's been put down. Thank you all for your help.

Back
Top Bottom