Chicken can't walk straight, wings held out to catch her

Zahboo

Simply Stated
10 Years
Feb 3, 2009
Hope Mills, NC
1) What type of bird , age and weight.
-Mottled Cochin Bantam, hatched last July. I don't know weight, but healthy.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
- Behaved fine yesterday. Today she is limping, and spins in circles. Some labored breathing. No visible cuts, punctures, or anything. Feet look normal, can clench all her toes.
She lays half on her side

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
-Today
4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
-None that is found, her legs bend without issue and toes don't seem mangled.

5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
-The rooster has started breeding them?

6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
-She's a healthy weight and is eating and drinking. She's isolated in a dog crate at the moment.

7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
- Checked the coop, no weird dropping, but she hasn't gone in the crate yet.

8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
-Isolation

9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
-I am willing to do my own treatment, but if necessary, she is my baby
smile.png

10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
-No picture but I can try if necessary.
11) Describe the housing/bedding in use
- She has a ground floor, chainlink fence. Dog house as coop. Wheat straw bedding

Please any advice?

She ate some yogurt. Pooped, no weird droppings. Her comb is duller, not drastically, but I can tell (mom can't, so IDK). Breathing will be slightly quick to super fast, mouth open at random times, even if nothing moved. I'm not sure what's wrong. She doesn't act like Mareks, no new birds to bring disease. I haven't been around others flocks. I'm staying away from other peoples flocks just in case, but I just don't know.
hu.gif
Fleck looks so sad
hit.gif

I am so sorry about your chickie. They are sweet little things. I hope it is not Marek's. I lost one to what the lab said was "suspected" Marek's. Like you, no new birds, and no visitors with birds, and no neighbors within 1/4 mile with birds. So who knows where it came from. I read about symptoms like this all the time. Can there be that many cases of Marek's lurking out there or our chickens prone to something else that I don't know about.

All I can offer is good thoughts and prayers. Give her good nutritional support, a warm place, and maybe give her some poly-vi-sol vitamins (no iron). Even if it is Marek's (hope not) she could recover, some do. She would be a carrier, but your other birds are already exposed so it won't matter for them. Let's hope that she just got injured somehow and that she does not have an actual illness.

Keep us updated. I hope she gets better.

OUCH, the M word
sickbyc.gif

I don't think it's marek's honestly, her leg isn't paralyzed or anything. She can still limp and walk. She just looks lopsided and can only walk a few steps before spiralling down onto her side.

Back
Top Bottom