Chicken can't walk

Hi, there! The balm sounds GREAT! But all I see are old lady scales. They're lifted, but I don't see the poop buildup. I think it's just due to her age. As far as the difficulty walking, she might just be getting old. It certainly won't hurt to treat her for mites. And Ivermectin will treat scaly leg mites.

Have you checked for injury?
Thanks for posting this! I don't have a lot of experience with scaly leg mites, so I wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong. :p Thanks for this info @Aunt Angus.

old lady scales were my first thought too, I have a 9 yr old PBR that has had raised scales for about 2 yrs but no sign of mites ever. (I'm kind of obnoxious about a clean coop lol)

Hi, there! The balm sounds GREAT! But all I see are old lady scales. They're lifted, but I don't see the poop buildup. I think it's just due to her age. As far as the difficulty walking, she might just be getting old. It certainly won't hurt to treat her for mites. And Ivermectin will treat scaly leg mites.

Have you checked for injury?
Hi Aunt Angus: Thanks so much for writing. I did check for injury. She was a rescue and is blind in one eye. She has never laid, but she is so sweet and I wanted to give her a good life. I can only imagine she was very traumatized before our animal services found her wandering around a park, just skin and bones. She was never a good walker. It seems her legs are scaly as a problem as I can't seem to find an injury. You are saying it could just be old age. I'm encouraged as she is getting herself up a step and into the coop at night by herself and is sitting on a perch. So, I'll continue to treat her legs. If she needs special attention with getting to water and food, I'm fine with that. The main thing is I don't want her to suffer and I won't let her starve.

Hi Aunt Angus: Thanks so much for writing. I did check for injury. She was a rescue and is blind in one eye. She has never laid, but she is so sweet and I wanted to give her a good life. I can only imagine she was very traumatized before our animal services found her wandering around a park, just skin and bones. She was never a good walker. It seems her legs are scaly as a problem as I can't seem to find an injury. You are saying it could just be old age. I'm encouraged as she is getting herself up a step and into the coop at night by herself and is sitting on a perch. So, I'll continue to treat her legs. If she needs special attention with getting to water and food, I'm fine with that. The main thing is I don't want her to suffer and I won't let her starve.
Awwwww.... I love this! A little accommodation, and she should be good - maybe ramps or a lower roost. Setting food and water wherever she happens to set for the day. Basically, more of what you're already doing.

Lucky girl to have been rescued by you!
❤️

Thats adorable! Her mobility issues could be from old age, and wear. Can chickens get arthritis? Maybe something along those lines. Honestly, if she was mine I would try giving her some CBD oil. Its great not only for pain and anxiety, but it has notorious health benefits as well. It can help fight cancer in dogs.
I like this brand for small animals. Its also anti-inflammatory, which is great for older animals.

CBD oil is a good idea! It's safe for chickens, right? I know it's good for a lot of animals, but I also know chickens metabolize things differently.
According to Google it is, not the best source, could probably use some more in-depth research. Amazon sells hemp oil for birds. Not the same thing, CBD and hemp oil are different, but maybe that provides some reassurance?

Back
Top Bottom