Chicken castle!!!!

jallen062

Songster
5 Years
Jun 13, 2014
Eastern Mass
Hi everyone, we are going to get chickens in the spring and I was wondering if you all could be of some assistance. We have 2 young kids- ages 8 and 9. We want layer/pet chickens. We will be converting a very well built childrens castle into a coop. We are in Massachusetts, and it gets pretty cold in the winter. Last winter was just brutal. So I am looking for friendly, cold hardy chickens. I am also looking for advice about turning this castle into a coop. The perimeter has a sand box- and I'm hoping to kind of maintain the footprint and have the run go all around the castle where the existing sand box is. Any advice on making this an awesome home for some chickens would be appreciated!! Thank you! We are total newbies and have not had chickens before.

If you are still in need of a breed, Silkies are cold and heat hardy, super friendly, and adorable. Mine love visiting daycares, especially the roosters!

That is going to be a great coop!
I'd start by putting hardware cloth over the windows.
You might consider a roof for the second floor.

The ladder might be a bit steep, but could double as a roost.
Is the draw bridge functional?
I might close it, and cut a smaller door into it.

Wow, what a great re-purpose idea.

I could write a book of nothing but suggestions but my fingers would get tired long before I finished plus others would probably chime in quicker with most of my suggestions.

here's the short list
look through the "coops" pages and get ideas of what others have done.
I would also suggest looking through CL for dog kennels for sale and use them for the sides of your run(with an apron of course).
I have nest boxes that are accessible from outside the coop/run, wife loves that. You could consider leaving one side of the future coop outside the run and make your nest boxes and your people door from that wall so you don't have to go through the run everytime you want eggs or to go in the coop.(runs can get messy, it's nice to collect eggs with clean feet, IMHO)

good luck and have fun.

Along with the cold, I'm assuming you get wind, so you will need to seal the gaps between the boards. I would go with 1 x 1" fencing rather than chain link, its predator proof for young chicks as well, looks better, and cheaper. Enclose most of the floor to the second story and extend the "ladder so it isn't so steep. You don't want the chickens flying down from the 2nd to the first story. Put at least one roost in the run as well as the 1st & 2nd story of the coop.
Widen the moat door to be able to get a wheelbarrel in and put a pop door to the east or south side, away from the wind direction. Make both coop and run predator proof so you don't have to worry about the local wildlife. Good luck,

Back
Top Bottom