Chicken check! are these the right chickens for me?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Goneloopychooks, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Goneloopychooks

Goneloopychooks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2014
    Hi guys I'm in need of advice(from the best)[​IMG]
    I am starting up a flock of 4
    I need some idea's of what chickens would be suitable .
    I have in mind:
    2 Hy-line browns
    1 ISA brown
    1 Welsummer
    But I need a character check of the chickens. Here are some questions I need answers to: [​IMG]
    Can any of them fly high, or fly at all?
    Will they have a long life span?
    Are they generally friendly?
    Do they pick on other hens(I'm not having any roosters)?
    Do I need two of each breed?
    My list could go on and on but I'm going to stop here[​IMG]

Cheers
    Brittany [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Hy-line Browns and Isa Browns are essentially the same chicken. These are two of many labels used by some hatcheries to market their Red Sex Links which are produced by crossing a red gene rooster (RIR, NHR, or Production Red) with a silver gene hen (WR, RIW, SLW, Delaware, or Light Sussex) to produce offspring that are not only better layers than either parent breed, but can be sexed by color from hatching (male chicks are whitish, females are reddish). Red Sex Links are also marketed under a number of other labels including Bovans Brown, Babcock Brown, Shaver Brown, Warrens, Red Star, Gold Star, Brown Star, Golden Comet, Hubbard's Golden Comet, Golden Buff, Cinnamon Queen, Gold Lines, etc., but no matter what label they are marketed under, they are all egg laying machines.

None of these on your list are good fliers, but without clipping one wing, they can probably get over a six foot fence.

The Red Sex Links (Hy-line and Isa Browns) do not have long life spans as chickens go as they burn out quickly from their high laying rates. The Welsummer will likely outlive them, but if you want breeds that have a reputation for long life spans you would do better to go with Black Australorps or Buff Orpingtons. Also, BAs and BOs are even poorer flyers than RSLs and Welsummers.

Red Sex Links and Welsummers are generally friendly, but I have had a few aggressive individuals over the years. Among the sex link chickens, I have found Black Sex Links, which are RIR rooster x BR hen crosses to be friendlier than Red Sex Links. If you are really looking for friendly, gentle breeds, again Australorps and Orpingtons would be your best bet. My children, and now my granddaughter, have made lap pets of them.

As far as picking on other hens, my previous comments on aggressiveness apply here as well.

No, you go not need two of each breed. Chickens of all different breeds (especially docile breeds) mix well together.

I hope this helps, Brittany. Good luck with whatever breeds you get. Cheers.

4. Goneloopychooks

Mar 16, 2014
    Thanks that has helped me out a lot![​IMG]
    there was two more questions that has occurred to me.
    Will the Hy-line browns form their own group away from the ISA brown and the Welsummer?
    Or will the Welsummer be the odd one out? [​IMG]

cheers
    Brittany[​IMG]

5. Goneloopychooks

Mar 16, 2014
    Thanks for the info[​IMG]
    I will definitely be changing one of the Hy- line brown to another Welsummer,as an early death would be unbearable(for me and the kids).[​IMG]
    Thanks tonnes
    Brittany [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by