Chicken/chick antics- what do yours do?

peopleRanimals2

Songster
Jun 30, 2015
Rhode Island
Hi! I wanted to make a thread for all of the funny stuff that my/your chick/chickens do. If you are like me, you love talking about your chicks, and this is the place to do it.

Some of my favorite behaviors:
One chick grabs a treat, then suddenly that is the treat that all of them must have
One of my chicks will do the funniest things- and be really serious about it. :

When I have one chick perching on my hand, and I lift her up, another one of my chicks (peanut) launches herself at my hand. Same with when I used to have paper towels in the brooder and I'd try to remove one :)

Please post some funny things that happen to you!

My Buff Orpington rooster will catch pieces of bread that I toss in mid-air and then passes them on to his hens, with the exception of the third or fourth toss and that one he eats himself.

Two of his hens have learned to bypass the middle man and have learned to catch bread themselves.

One of their flock mates, also Buff O's, will stand on the ledge by their coop ramp and peck me on the bum if I don't give her a piece of bread in a reasonable amount of time. Another hen will launch herself at me when I wave a piece of bread at her and perch on my arm to get first bites. I call her my loyal Falcon.

The Buff O's seem to be more eager to learn tricks over the Welsummers in the flock. Kinda funny to toss them a piece of bread thinking they will catch it only to see it bounce off their comb and them look puzzled because they were sure they were going to get a treat. I wind up having to hand feed them.

Last edited:
My Buff Orpington rooster will catch pieces of bread that I toss in min mid-air and then passes them on to his hens, with the exception of the third or fourth toss and that one he eats himself.

Two of his hens have learned to bypass the middle man and have learned to catch bread themselves.

One of their flock mates, also Buff O's, will stand on the ledge by their coop ramp and peck me on the bum if I don't give her a piece of bread in a reasonable amount of time. Another hen will launch herself at me when I wave a piece of bread at her and perch on my arm to get first bites. I call her my loyal Falcon.

The Buff O's seem to be more eager to learn tricks over the Welsummers in the flock. Kinda funny to toss them a piece of bread thinking they will catch it only to see it bounce off their comb and them look puzzled because they were sure they were going to get a treat. I wind up having to hand feed them.
yuckyuck.gif

Fern, my black ameraucana who was sitting on the brooder in my first post, just sat on my shoulder and watched while I played a game. the thing is, she doesn't like being picked up, and she went from the brooder, to my shoulder, and back again, without me doing anything!

Back
Top Bottom