chicken cleanliness

ipie68

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 29, 2011
Penfield, PA
idunno.gif

do chickens need baths

They will take dust/dirt baths if they have access to the ground.

I have never water bathed a chicken, but some people do. If they get into something or show chickens.

Imp

We keep our BARN clean. We have a pooper scooper we use daily.

I understand some (showing) do bathe their show birds. Aria

I had to bath one of mine. She had a big lump of poop stuck fast to the down below her vent. It wasn't coming off with a washcloth so I had to soak the whole chicken.

I only bath mine if they are really dirty and are stuck with mud or/and poop in places that won't easily come off by itself.
Some breeds get dirtier then others.
For example, my polishes crest can get dirty very easy and he can't clean it himself.
Japanese also get kinda dirty because there legs/feet are so close to the ground they sometimes drag their wings in muck (but i imagine this is something they could preen off themselves if needed).

For hygiene in general, chickens take dust baths which help rid and prevent lice and mites.

So in general, chickens don't normally need baths.
But special circumstances can occur when they do.

I bathe mine a lot and I don't show. They relax and practically fall asleep in the bathtub. I also bathe all new chickens when I get them before they go into quarantine. I just like bathing animals, I guess lol My husband laughed at me years ago for giving the baby bottle calf a bath-but he was dirty
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom