Dust Bath location

PhenixJiRa

Songster
Aug 12, 2022
Idaho
Does anyone have a trick to get chickens to do a dust bath in a particular spot?

I have an enclosed run with lots of sand and other dust bath materials, but they keep doing it under the perches and getting pooped on.

I don’t have room to put a tire. I do have a location specifically for them but they don’t all use it. In the last two days I’ve had two chickens I’ve had to clean. 🫣

Any tricks of the trade?

Can you lay a "poop board" under the roosts? Just some board that would get pooped on, but at least you could scrape that every couple weeks.

Can you lay a "poop board" under the roosts? Just some board that would get pooped on, but at least you could scrape that every couple weeks.
I already have some sticks and boards under some of the perches in the run, but I can’t put them everywhere. This is outdoors in a covered run with several places they can do a dust bath, but they keep doing it under where others are sitting.

Do you think I should just make it so there are no available locations under the perches?

That’s what I’ve been leaning towards, but that’s a lot of things to put everywhere. I could limit the perches.

I already have some sticks and boards under some of the perches in the run, but I can’t put them everywhere. This is outdoors in a covered run with several places they can do a dust bath, but they keep doing it under where others are sitting.

Do you think I should just make it so there are no available locations under the perches?

That’s what I’ve been leaning towards, but that’s a lot of things to put everywhere. I could limit the perches.
Oh, I was thinking they were laying there dust bathing but they can't dust bath if there's sticks there, so then they are perching on the sticks? What if you just raked EVERYTHING away from under the roosts?

How about keep the dust bath where they want it and move that perch?
Right! Well, they keep changing their mind. I have tons of room under the actual coop, but they won’t do it there. I have room in the middle of the run, but they won’t do it there either. I think they’re messing with me! 😂

I am working on moving the perches a bit to see if that helps and maybe put some obstacles underneath them

They keep us busy trying to figure them out. Just when you think you got it... Nope, left turn. 🤪

Pics might help here. I know that I fashioned a huge dust bath out in the yard. Filled it all up with 5-6 wheelbarrows and they never used it. Seems mine like dust bathing under cover/trees/our boat, or in their covered section of their run.
But you said your run is covered so.... Hmmmm 🤔

Maybe if you scraped a depression in your selected spot they might try that. Or put a sign there that says "Dust Bath Here"..😉

They keep us busy trying to figure them out. Just when you think you got it... Nope, left turn. 🤪

Pics might help here. I know that I fashioned a huge dust bath out in the yard. Filled it all up with 5-6 wheelbarrows and they never used it. Seems mine like dust bathing under cover/trees/our boat, or in their covered section of their run.
But you said your run is covered so.... Hmmmm 🤔

Maybe if you scraped a depression in your selected spot they might try that. Or put a sign there that says "Dust Bath Here"..😉
The sign might work LOL!!
I’ve made holes and framed things and they just do it wherever they want.
I moved things around and blocked things off so maybe they will do it. Oy!

Back
Top Bottom