Chicken compound build thread.

for sure!
I'm off work for 6 days starting tomorrow, so no excuses for not makeing some progress!
Will update as progress is made :)

Nice looking coop ... and yes, they sure can grow fast!
welcome-byc.gif

That shed would make an excellent coop!
Nice deep eaves for soffit vents and window protection....needs some gable and/or ridge venting.
Separate area(s) for inside storage of feed and supplies, for main flock, and for new birds/chicks/isolation of ill or rogue birds.

Looking forward to seeing your plans and progress......love a good build thread!

The shed would make a fine coop indeed! But it's built post and beam style out of cedar 5x5 and completely sheeted in with boards/mostly cedar. Has a wood stove in the back corner and kitchen table and half a dozen chairs.
I'm just gonna keep it as a place to hangout for now. Needs a couple windows and the cedar siding put on the rest of it still.
But the chickens are a higher priority at this point so the shed can wait.

Building a 5' by 5' coop directly behind shed. Found a few rocks to get it up off the ground. Built the floor structure out of 2x4's sitting on two cedar beams.

Then sheeted it in with random boards that were kicking around, mixture of pine, poplar, and cedar.
I plan to cover the floor with some linoleum flooring I have as well.

I don't really have a plan.. Just seen lots of pictures, kind of using those ideas as I go to figure it out.

It is pretty small, just basing it off the 3 to 4 square feet per bird theory.
It gets very cold through the winter months and I am not going to be heating it. So I built it just big enough for 6 birds. "I hope" so they can retain what body heat they need.
The roosting boxes will be built off the side of the hen house.
But I have never had chickens.. Is 5x5 to small for 6?

I think it is too small for 6, especially in a harsh climate.

My birds can spend several sessions of days at a time not ever leaving the coop over the winter.
They can get cranky if crowded.

Your theory of the coop 'holding body heat' is faulty, adequate ventilation prevents that.

Check out the articles linked in my signature on Space and Ventilation.

Okay fair enough, thanks.. I'll do some more reading, and expand my floor a bit of I have to.
What would you consider a minimum healthy size for 6 birds?
Thanks for being honest in your opinion, I've learned to many lessons the hard way! And respect your experience and knowledge:)

I would go as big as possible...6x8 min....it's not just the (first) 6 birds......

It's the storage of feed and supplies right there where you need them,
which is nice to have separated from the birds area.

It's the additional birds you will want in the next year or so.....it takes extra room to integrate new birds.

Yet again nice to have a separate area for new chicks, sick bird, broody bird, bad bird.
A temporary wire wall can work wonders...I designed one into my coop, with a separate people door, best decision I made. Check out My Coop page too.

You can probably whip out a coop real quick with your skills,
but you might be happier in the long run if you take some time to plan for the future.

I live in a cold climate. Don't put the nest boxes hanging on the side for easy access, the eggs freeze quick.

Back
Top Bottom