Chicken constantly in & out of coop in daytime...Why??

Dot Mayo

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2019
Somerset, England
One of my girls (approx 18 months / 2 years old) has been behaving strangely for about 3 weeks.
All, every day she keeps going in and out of the coop. She only spends 5-10 seconds in there each time and does not settle in the nesting boxes (even if there are eggs in there). I am not sure if she is laying at the moment.
She is eating well and is otherwise happy. She show no signs of being egg bound or broody - She just looks confused.... (like she is looking for her car keys!)
She is in and out of that coop literally ALL DAY - Dozens and dozens of times. She does not stray too far from the coop dispite having quite a large run.
Any ideas what is causing this behaviour? I've searched the internet and can't find anything.
Thank you.

I had a hen do that for a while. She didn't want anyone to change anything in there. When I cleaned it, she was there complaining. When I collected eggs she would charge in there and then be all upset I took the eggs. Eventually she stopped popping in and out all the time, but still goes in to rearrange everything whenever I clean the coop. Chickens...:confused:

- She just looks confused.... (like she is looking for her car keys!)
This cracked me up! :lol:

She may be going neurotic, had a hen do that once.
I'd check her over real good....and the coop, might there be a pest or predator in there...insects, rodents, or snake?

Oh, and...Welcome to BYC! @Dot Mayo
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-9-14_9-27-40.png

This cracked me up! :lol:

She may be going neurotic, had a hen do that once.
I'd check her over real good....and the coop, might there be a pest or predator in there...insects, rodents, or snake?

Oh, and...Welcome to BYC! @Dot Mayo
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1907629
She is one of just 4 hens, the coop is bug free, pest free, rodent free and snake free - It's just seldom chicken free with madam in and out like a fiddlers elbow!
Weather here in the UK is nothing unusual - Usual British nonsense.
I think she has simply lost the plot but since she is happily senile I will fret no more.

I had a hen do that for a while. She didn't want anyone to change anything in there. When I cleaned it, she was there complaining. When I collected eggs she would charge in there and then be all upset I took the eggs. Eventually she stopped popping in and out all the time, but still goes in to rearrange everything whenever I clean the coop. Chickens...:confused:
Hmmm, similar behaviour. This chicken has always insisted on being in the coop whenever I clean it - And gets quite vocal - Like she doesn't like me interfering with her space. Evidently just a crazy chicken thing.....

Back
Top Bottom